PDA

View Full Version : help with head gasket change

SRlew
03-09-06, 09:14 AM
right then!! after loosing intrest of the nova for a while, iv suddenly wanted to get it sorted now! right then. will there be anything else that need changing when i do the HG?

will i need a tourqe rench?
what do i do about timing etc?
and cam belt tension?

p.s iv never done this before!
was ment to be going devon the first week in october. can i do it by then??

right any help atall apprieciated!

lew

Welsh Dan
03-09-06, 09:21 AM
You will need a torque wrench, I'd change the cambelt and headbolts aswell. As for timing the haynes manual tells you how to line everything up. :thumb:

studaman21
03-09-06, 09:58 AM
where in the haynes manual are the torque settings for the head? its been a while since i looked but its always good to know

Stuart
03-09-06, 10:41 AM
erm in the engine section...

Adam
03-09-06, 12:13 PM
Torque settings are 25Nm
60deg
60deg
60deg

Get new headbolts, new headgasket set, and get the head skimmed.
You'll also need a 5L bottle of anti-freeze too.

You can do the headgasket in less than a day.

I changed the head and headgasket etc on my engine in about 1-2hours,Lol.

When removing the head tho, set the cam/crank to TDC(marks aligned) then turn them back around 45deg so that all pistons are level.
Then wip the head off, replace it and turn the CAM sprocket to TDC, then turn the Crank sprocket to TDC, then fit the cambelt.

Probably sounds difficult but makes sense when you do it.

craig green
03-09-06, 12:22 PM
Use a vice & block of wood (cushion) to empty the hydraulic lifters of oil before they go back in too.

Squeeze them slowly to push out the oil. This helps them pump up much quicker when you are ready to fire her up next. It also stops the engine rattling its tits off 10 minutes.

you may also need a female Torx socket for the new type of headbolts that are now used.

Adam
03-09-06, 12:24 PM
It might be a good time to clean the lifters out too, seeing as you will have them removed anyway.

The Torx socket is a E12 size, ?3 from halfords.

SRlew
03-09-06, 04:33 PM
fook me im doubting this now! but i havent got the money this month to get it down.

so i take it my 40's and inlet will have to come off aswell. this'll be fun.

it the timing thing im dredding most. theres 2 lines on my top pulley like the engraved one then a painted on red one.

how do you go bout doing it all then? whats first etc?
also how do you get the cam belt off?
and can someone give me a list of parts that im going to need for this job. ie like new seals ets gaskets etc, things that'll be worth changing while im there, i dont want to get it all off then have to wait on parts etc. i hate doing that.

cheers all. lew

General Baxter
03-09-06, 04:59 PM
do them up to FT ;)

Adam
03-09-06, 05:23 PM
Timing is easy.
The first mark on the pulley is 10deg BTDC, second is 5deg BTDC. Set it to the 10deg first mark.

SRlew
03-09-06, 05:39 PM
which is the first one though? also is it just the top pulley you line up?

Adam
03-09-06, 05:59 PM
Went the cambelt is on and the engine timed up, if the cam sprocket is lined up, the crank one will be too.
The first 10deg btdc mark is the first one you come to on the crank pulley when you turn the engine clockwise.

SRlew
03-09-06, 08:00 PM
right i think i get you!

dan23
03-09-06, 09:47 PM
when u buy the head gasket get a vauxhall one the FIa gaskets arent very good they only last about 6 month _ a year

do u still need all those mk2 dash parts mate if so you can have them no one wants them so just give me mony to cover postage an there yours:thumb:

Adam
03-09-06, 09:59 PM
when u buy the head gasket get a vauxhall one the FIa gaskets arent very good they only last about 6 month _ a year

Lol, i've just fitted a pattern part headgasket too :cry: lol

dan23
03-09-06, 10:23 PM
i ordered mine from work when one of the mechanics saw he said to send it back as they dont last long ,an the vauxs are only a few ? more .
yours might be alright if its not made by fia

Adam
04-09-06, 12:08 AM
No idea who mine was made buy, it looked cheap c**p tho, didn't even have oben/top on Lol

benthehash
04-09-06, 11:34 AM
i've just fitted a payen gasket set very good quality and highly recommended by my engine man even if they did send the wrong inlet gasket!!

SRlew
04-09-06, 06:26 PM
what are the ones like from say partco like? or should i just buy a decent set like?

Adam
04-09-06, 07:16 PM
I'd get a GM head gasket, but i've found pattern part inlet/exhaust gaskets etc are fine.

stafford
04-09-06, 07:47 PM
if u get the some money together ill get the parts and come down and do it itll keep me busy for a couple of hours on a weekend and show u how its done i live not so far from manchester