PDA

View Full Version : Need new gearbox?

Anonymous
09-03-01, 12:00 PM
After getting my Gsi insured yesterday I went for a long drive and found that when the engine had warmed up it was difficult to get into first and second gear. After leaving the car for a few hours it was fine again. Is this is a serious problem and will it get worse. Hope I don't need a new gearbox as I just spent 1K on insurance:( Any help appreciated.

Anonymous
09-03-01, 12:49 PM
I had a similar problem with my GTE all it is is the gears need lining up I would check this out b4 worrying about getting a new box.

Ease Yourself Back Into Conciousness !!!!!
:D

Anonymous
09-03-01, 04:31 PM
Sounds like the sycro rings aren't working correctly when the oil gets warm in the box making it thinner. It may be just that the wrong oil has been put in it. You could drain out the old oil and put the correct type in as stated in the haynes manual, see if this makes a differece. To get the old oil out you can either pop a driveshaft out or unbolt the sump part, if you unbolt the gearbox sump you will need a new gasket for it. If it doesn't work with the correct oil try some thicker oil as it apears to be OK when the oil is cold and thick.

Plese don't let busses pull out.