PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks

Anonymous
08-03-01, 08:21 PM
My cars (1.4SR body)on 60mm drop springs as far as I can tell. It appears to have been fitted with standard shocks and when braking hard from high speed over bumpy roads the front end of the car bottoms out. I thought I 'd buy some adjustable shocks to help iron the problem out. However it appears that there is more to it( or rather I've got the wrong end of the stick) and I've been advised to go for special shorter shocks. I thought lowered cars = shorter springs. Apparently they're the same length but with different spring ratings to lower or raise the car accordingly. Am I on the right track with this or am I being spun a line???
PS Sorry I expect this has been fully discussed before.

Anonymous
08-03-01, 08:44 PM
You just need uprated shocks
it's the rears that need shorter ones

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---

Anonymous
08-03-01, 09:53 PM
Most uprated shocks are designed to work with a lower setup, so have a slightly shorter stroke. The springs are normally the same length as standard ones, but are progressively wound, so that the soft bit compresses to give the low look, and opens up when the car is jacked up to prevent them from unseating, but the hard bit prevents body roll. The actual body of the shock is the same size, but the shaft isn`t quite as long. Standard shocks suffer as the rebound is too soft, especially when semi compressed (lowered 60mm) so you get bottoming out, and eventually the shock will wear out and be soft and bouncy. The uprated shocks are designed to work on drops such as 60 and 35 mm, and also have a firmer rebound which prevents full compression.

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
09-03-01, 10:24 AM
uprated rear shocks are shorter

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---

Anonymous
09-03-01, 06:29 PM
Front uprated shockers also have shorter damper rods. I bought a PMC Sports pack with -60 springs and matched shockers front and back. The rides a bit on the stiff side but it handles great on flat roads (no potholes!) Dropped with springs only more than 30mm and the handling will suffer.

Anonymous
09-03-01, 07:13 PM
That is what i said: "but the shaft isn`t quite as long".

Whoopass! :D