PDA

View Full Version : not going in second

richi
31-08-06, 03:31 PM
i have a four speed gear box in a 1.2, when i try to put it in second it just wont go in then slips into 4th, but sometimes it goes straight in any ideas?

Ste L
31-08-06, 03:57 PM
gear linkage need's adjusting

matt1chelski
31-08-06, 04:00 PM
Im not very tech minded, BUT, my sr was doing the same thing, but in 5th. (not great when it went in 3rd lol). But after practicing a few techniques, it now seems to go straght in most of the time. Defo got easier the more iv used it. If not then i was told gear linkages or similer, but would need looking at.

Balls STE beat me. lol it took me 3 min to write that!

matt

richi
31-08-06, 04:17 PM
how do u alter the gear linkage then?

philly
31-08-06, 04:49 PM
easiest way....... take it to a garage

not sure how much of a hassle it is, but im not sure if the ever so helpful haynes would be much use

Ste L
31-08-06, 05:25 PM
it's one bolt...

fiddley to do and to get it right, ideally a 2 man job, but can be done on your own, i've done mine my self

novamadman
31-08-06, 05:56 PM
yeah like ste says a lot better with two people

look straight downthe back of the middle of the engine, you will see where the gear the linkage connects to selecting rod or whatever you want to call it, just slacken it off, its a 13mm you will need long extension/s slacken it, and get someone in car to set where they think neutral is, tighten up bolt try all the gears i they go in nicely and move when you think its in gear, just keep trying till yu get it should work first time

but please dont go to a garage to adjust your gear linkage :tard:

shane

Adam
31-08-06, 07:18 PM
1-Put it in neutral
2-Disconnect 13mm rod bolt on the linkage
3-Remove plastic cap from back of selector housing and turn the selector fork anticlockwise until a 4mm drill fits into the hole inside the housing
4-Get someone to hold the lever across to the 1st/2nd positions, but in neutral.
5-Tighten the 13mm rod bolt
6-Remove drill bit
7-Refit plastic cap

Should be fine then, i did mine first time on my own and it worked fine.

Dont take it to a garage, you'll probably go back and get charged ?100 or something, with them saying they've had to strip the box down etc lol

richi
01-09-06, 11:55 AM
think i will give it a try this weekend thanks