PDA

View Full Version : 120+bhp 1.6 8v??

JAMIEP
30-08-06, 03:42 AM
What kind of performance mods would make a 1600 8v engine over 120bhp, not using carbs tho? thanks

Welsh Dan
30-08-06, 07:12 AM
Throttle bodies, polished ported head, suitable cam, management and exhaust.

EDIT: forced induction, nitrous oxide aswell.

Stuart
30-08-06, 08:15 AM
NOT TB's.... that would make the engine too peaky and cost a bomb... (even bike TB's :p )

you'd need to bin the afm. fit aftermarket management (megasquirt would do for this), slip in a reasonable cam 285 min, maybe have the head worked a bit but no major surgery needed imho. get it all mapped properly and you "should" see 120 easy.

JAMIEP
30-08-06, 10:44 AM
Is after market management a superchip? if so where do i get 1 from? thanks

craig green
30-08-06, 10:53 AM
No a Superchip isnt aftermarket management. They dont really work on these engines anyway. Assuming you have a cone filter or drilled/modded airbox...

Best way to tune the 8v is 1) Big valve head (essential). 2) Aftermarket 285 deg camshaft. 3) 4 branch exhaust manifold & matching system. 4) FSE fuel pressure regulator or similar.

Set all this lot up on a rolling road with decent plugs & leads & well serviced etc, you should be knocking on the door of 130bhp

As Stuart says, if you replaced all the Bosch injection system inc the AFM which is a restriction on the air the engine has to 'suck in' then it would be easier to gain (more) power.

nyabinghi
30-08-06, 11:56 AM
Best way to tune the 8v is 1) Big valve head (essential). 2) Aftermarket 285 deg camshaft. 3) 4 branch exhaust manifold & matching system. 4) FSE fuel pressure regulator or similar.

can you explain "big valve head" please ? how to get this?

craig green
30-08-06, 12:02 PM
A suitable engineer of cylinder heads will be able to re-cut the valve seats for the inlet valves so that larger sized valves can be installed in the cyl head. This enables more air to flow into the head & hence gain more power. Alongside the usual smoothing & flow work of the inlet & exhaust ports & reprofiled valve stems.

I didnt intend to plug my own items for sale but look here;

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?p=542715#post542715

Adam
30-08-06, 04:18 PM
Get a 1600 8v C16se, dont have no ****e AFM then.
Or if you get a older e16se get the MAP sensor and pipes etc off a later engine.
Definently go for aftermarket management, 300deg cam, coilpack system off a corsa gsi/sri, head work, 150bhp is possible with the original 1600 throttle body.

In this months TV, 1300cc engine with bike carbs, estimated 130bhp, HMMMmmmm,Lol.

Mike
30-08-06, 05:10 PM
In this months TV, 1300cc engine with bike carbs, estimated 130bhp, HMMMmmmm,Lol.

Mike rushes out to go buy one!! Lmfao

novamadman
30-08-06, 05:34 PM
120 should be easily achievable, i had a gsi which had a real blinder of an engine

kent cam, fse valve, 4 branch, k+n as far as i remember what was all an there was rolling road printouts for 131bhp, it was a real cracker of an engine and went really well. also had a set of go faster leads but dont think that would have made all the difference lol

shane

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 11:28 PM
are you serious

novamadman
31-08-06, 12:14 AM
are you serious

if your talking to me yes

shane

stv-b16a
31-08-06, 01:14 AM
lol yes shane i was talking to you.

a 30 bhp gain from a cam and a manifold?

the other "mods"arent even worth mentioning.

either there was more to it or the RR wasnt calibrated properly.

novamadman
31-08-06, 02:37 AM

i know what you mean but believe me it did feel around that mark. something now reminds me about the head im trying to dig out where i had it on the internet, it used to be on here under adam wards gsi - its was subaru blue on speedlines but isnt here any more

anyway all i mean is there wasnt much done to it and it was a complete rocket, so 120-130 bhp is easily achievable if not more

shane

Adam
31-08-06, 03:19 PM

If you find a nice low mileage 1600, or a rebuilt one, cam gains maybe 6-10bhp, 4branch-5+bhp

So around 115-120bhp would be possible

womble sri
31-08-06, 08:59 PM
yeah i agree but i think the key is good flow so headwork and mathced ports are essential dont know how the 300 degree cams will go on the mpi pretty tasty i would of thought and management is a must especially with a cam like that as it would rev to 8.5k with ease so would need precision fuelling and obviously removal of the limiter. why not just run it on carbs sounds great and could reach 150 bhp. as i found out its not all about power good chasis, gearbox and weight reduction will make a hell of a difference. any one got a tuned na 1600 on standalone management on here. check out glenns sri in the features under sris funnily enough he did some major work and apparently peaked at 147!

Dan
01-09-06, 07:02 PM
end of the day power figures dont mean diddly anyway, it all nonsense. If a car is tuned and the owner is happy with it then job done.

An example would be mine, its allegedly 140bhp (lots more than just cam and manifold done) But mine is built for torque in mind low down so i have alot of grunt in the engine rather than a screamer built for more bhp. After that the man behind the wheel determines how well it goes. i dont have alot of power but i can bang in the qtr times and annoy alot more powerful cars on track as i know the car inside out.

sri power
01-09-06, 10:56 PM
i have a c16se in my corsa and im lookin 2 tune it up.i can geta cam and do all the headwork myself but i dont no if my standard ecu can be remapped 2 match the cam and othermods?will i need a different management system??

Stuart
02-09-06, 08:55 AM
english? and start your own thread....