PDA

View Full Version : Sub 5 sec 0-60 attempt

dhdev (Oli)
29-08-06, 10:28 PM
I want to hit a sub 5 sec 0-60 at trax this sunday. Last year i managed a 5.36 at the FCS at Bruntingthorpe. Since then I've saved more weight and have adjustable suspension (raise / stiffen the rear).
The 5.36 run was done on shagged out yokohama a539's that have gone very hard, I still have the yoko's but am unsure on the following, do I

A) get some tyre softener and treat them b4 the weekend

or

B) buy a pair of Toyo R888's?

Any advice or people with experience appreciated. :thumb:

andybishop
29-08-06, 10:34 PM
I ran my best quarter mile time of 13.7 sec with a set of knackered tyres with tyre softener on, did a bit for a burn-out too before hand to get them nice and sticky.

dhdev (Oli)
29-08-06, 10:38 PM
Think I may have to give the softener a go, definately the cheaper route! :)

SRlew
29-08-06, 10:42 PM
let us know how you get on mate!

Dar
29-08-06, 10:44 PM
I say R888's are your friend's
I've not really heard alot about tyre softener but I thought it was mainly for slicks.
Oli Get the R888's all round, you would be amased at just how good they are. You think your car handles well now! It will be unbeliveable with those buggers on:thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
29-08-06, 11:07 PM
I definately intend on getting a set of R888's, just wondered if i needed to rush out and get them, cos i don't really want them on my heavy rims and can't afford lightweight wheels at the mo.

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 12:03 AM
if i had a nova that was that quick i would get some partly worn slicks eg avon,michelin ect and fit them to a set of lightweight compomotives and id say you would crock the 5sec barrier no sweat.

dhdev (Oli)
30-08-06, 12:29 AM
Thats cheating lol. On some actual slicks i would want to be closer to 4.5 :p
I'm trying to keep this a road legal attempt. :thumb:

NovaNeil
30-08-06, 12:25 PM
Don't eat or drink anything for the next few days lardy boy :p

Someone told me Deep Heat does the same as Tyre softener??? Not sure if thats true. Also try lowering your tyre pressure a couple of PSi and make absolutely sure your track and camber are spot on as these will all help get those extra few 10ths off your time.

Good luck mate, we'll look out for you there.

Neil

scott.parker
30-08-06, 12:40 PM
I would go for the worn tyres and softener mate as i know Lee(BT from pvg) has found that from his 1/4 times his toyo R888's didnt realy do any favours..

And if you use Neil's advise then im sure you will crack that sub 5sec mark.:thumb:

Good luck.

Scott

dhdev (Oli)
30-08-06, 12:56 PM
I would go for the worn tyres and softener mate as i know Lee(BT from pvg) has found that from his 1/4 times his toyo R888's didnt realy do any favours..

Scott

I think thats just cos BT's a bit :gay:

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 01:20 PM
lol
your nova could still be road legal just sling the slicks in the boot and change them when you get there.

you can get part worn-second hand slicks or intermediates for about the same price as a set of yokos,toyos ect.

RS SHORTIE
30-08-06, 02:02 PM
I think he wants to set the time with the car being fully road legal - ie no slicks :thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
30-08-06, 03:31 PM
I think he wants to set the time with the car being fully road legal - ie no slicks :thumb:

What he said :thumb:

skud52
30-08-06, 05:35 PM
im sure you can make you own tyre softener using TFR and something found at a valating company, not sure on what it is tho, might be worth a quick research for even cheaper results

Philsutton
30-08-06, 08:28 PM
I challenge you to a 0-60 smackdown on sunday lol, i managed a 5.6 in a mildy tuned xe a few years ago. I shall be running toyo 888's and very low tyre pressure. Looking at my 1/4 mile slips im slightly faster on my 60ft time than my nova but i doubt i could break into 4 seconds.

To be honest the best way ive found to get better traction is to lower the tyre pressure, might go for some 2nd gear launches as well.

dhdev (Oli)
30-08-06, 08:43 PM
I challenge you to a 0-60 smackdown on sunday lol, i managed a 5.6 in a mildy tuned xe a few years ago. I shall be running toyo 888's and very low tyre pressure. Looking at my 1/4 mile slips im slightly faster on my 60ft time than my nova but i doubt i could break into 4 seconds.

To be honest the best way ive found to get better traction is to lower the tyre pressure, might go for some 2nd gear launches as well.

Bring it on!! :D I'll tow yours if you'll tow mine, WHEN a driveshaft snaps lol

Philsutton
30-08-06, 08:47 PM
lol i think i'll take some spares, ive never snapped a corsa shaft yet but when ive been launching in 2nd on the nitrous i havent let my tyres down at all so will they hold with that little extra grip? Take my straight bar as well i reckon lmao.

At the end of the day i just want to see some novas set some fast times in front of about 70'000 chavs.

RJM25R
30-08-06, 09:03 PM
hhhmmmm sounds interesting!!!! Hope it's dry enough for me to christen my new tyres!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 10:46 PM
you running corsa shafts phill.

Philsutton
31-08-06, 05:08 PM
yep i am, i was going to change to astra gte but then found the problem i had so corrected it instead.

Lee
31-08-06, 05:29 PM
I think thats just cos BT's a bit :gay:

LMAO! Im not gay, im just a bit poofy.

And sod the tyres, just fit a proper engine.

(yeah yeah, 'never did me any favours' blah blah blah) lol

Philsutton
31-08-06, 05:44 PM
is it your car in total vauxhall this month with 16.4 1/4 mile on the side lmao

Lee
31-08-06, 05:58 PM
the very same unfortunately lol

Rob77
31-08-06, 06:21 PM
I have managed 5.1 to 60mph in my Nova 20XE.

Thats with a standard engine, and hard rain tyres, but the plate diff I have got has just been re-shimmed and is uber tight, and virtually locked, so I get nigh on zero wheelspin!!!

(Plus its fully stripped, f/g tailgate, poly carb windows etc...)

Rob.

stv-b16a
31-08-06, 11:08 PM
hey robb.

good to see such good timesfrom such a minter, and with a standard engine.

what diff are you running. quaife?

RJM25R
31-08-06, 11:13 PM
Jeez, thats a fast 0-60!!!!!

Rob77
01-09-06, 11:50 AM
hey robb.

good to see such good timesfrom such a minter, and with a standard engine.

what diff are you running. quaife?

Its not a Quaife, as they are ATB (non plate).

My diff is made by Salsbury (spelling), and it is awesome!

The car is JUST on the verge of wheelspining when I am accelerating hard from standstill, so I don't think more power would help my 0-60 times, but more weightloss would!!!

Going to spend a bit of money on some lighter seats, as my buckets are a bit dated, and VERY heavy! (And a fibreglass bonnet)

I will be tuning the engine, (maybe even a LET!), as although I won't benefit from better 0-60 times, (although I would hope to if I swapped to some soft slicks), my 1/4 mile time needs some serious improvement!

On another note, my friend and I have just finished putting a Cosworth Turbo engine in his kit car (Caterham 7 stylee), and even he can't keep up with me off the mark!!! Its only when he gets into 3rd he leaves me, then its bye bye Caterham!!! (His car weighs in at 620kg wet, and has c.240bhp)

We are off to the pod to battle it out this weekend! (But I can never get the power down at pod, as my hard wet tyres just spin on the soft gluey floor! - Need some soft 888s perhaps!)

Rob.

stv-b16a
01-09-06, 11:37 PM
i know? lol

too much power in a FF car often just equals more wheelspin.
raise and stiffen the rear to combat weight transfer.

but thats not what your all about is it?

straight line speed is a good thing! but even better is a blindingly quick motor that can also cut it on the back roads!!!

i think you enjoy the best of both worlds.

keep it up robb.

will post a few pics of my light weight 16 16v in a few weeks mate.

on the look out for some fiberglass doors at the mo to finish of the shell, but not havin much luck.

dhdev (Oli)
04-09-06, 07:53 AM
Its time to let the excuses roll :(
The best I could manage was a 5.64
My times for the day were
I think running a brand new set of tyres was a mistake, they were dead greasy in the morning and despite my best efforts they didn't get a lot better :( Spinning up the tyres certainly wasn't a problem unfortunately!
Pretty gutted that its slower than it was last year, but nevermind, I'll have to postpone membership to the sub 5 club till next year :thumb: