PDA

View Full Version : Tool Fetish

Mr-G
29-08-06, 04:49 PM
I had a sort out of all my tools today as my tool boxes were starting to get a little untidy and i seem to have 46 screw drivers of various types and 52 allen keys of assorted sizeslol

I have a chest toolbox that comes up to my waist which is full to the brim and a 4 drawer red metal tool box thats also full.

Thats not including that massive plastic tub with power tools comprising of 2 jigsaws, 2 drills, pad sander, belt sander, cordless drill/screwdriver, soldering iron, glue gun, tyre inflator etc....., 3 scissor jacks and a trolly jack.

And who the hell needs 3 large tins of WD40.

I think i have developed some kind of tool fetish, does anyone else have the same problem :D

pul16v
29-08-06, 06:34 PM
yep i do anything shiny and with a good name on it i love it ' hate useing it for the first time just in case i scratch it altho last time i bought a screwdriver it cost me ?18 quid from snap on man so im not supprised how people get obsesed with tools lol off to my weekly shrink appointment now

phil

novacabrio
29-08-06, 06:40 PM
any dirty pictures?

Stuart
29-08-06, 07:13 PM
ive managed to curb my tool buying as the nova was turning into a tool box lmao... mind you that could be a use for the never ending project

Ash
29-08-06, 08:21 PM
A nice man from snap-on keeps coming down work, that gets expensive very very quickly, i bought an oil filter removal tool for ?39 or something stupid and it just flattened one bit of the filter - so i stuck a screw driver though it and the tool went back.

Snap-On are ace though, make you go quicker lol

Ash

Nick
29-08-06, 08:46 PM
i crushed one of my mates snap-on sockets, he just showed it to the "snap-on man" and he replaced it free off charge !

mikey14sr
29-08-06, 08:46 PM
I quite like the halfords "professional" tools, got some years ago and the ratchets are still going strong, despite being hit with a hammer from time to time when I really should have used a breaker bar, and I've never had to grease the mechanisms either, they're still running smoothly even after being left out in sudden downpours. Reasonably priced compared to snap-on and they come with the same lifetime gaurantee.

craig green
29-08-06, 08:52 PM
Wouldnt say Ive got a fetish but I think all real men appreciate tools & wish they had more.

I dont have much spare cash but when I buy tools I'm chuffed with them This saturday I bought a set of female torx sockets & a flexi joint for my ratchet handle. Halfords professional naturally. Sure is good stuff but they bank on you keeping the receipt in case of a warranty claim.

It has got Halfords professional forged into it, granted!

Mike
29-08-06, 09:10 PM
i crushed one of my mates snap-on sockets, he just showed it to the "snap-on man" and he replaced it free off charge !

If you break snap on tools whilst used in conjunction with any NON snap on tool (eg. snap on socket on non snap on breaker bar) you have to pay for a replacement! :thumb:

draper
29-08-06, 09:32 PM
ive got halfords professional stuff, my missus bought me a set as a moving in present, was only 100 quid and im well impressed

Nick
29-08-06, 09:36 PM
a mini engine fell off the engine stand and landed on it. completly ****ed it.

philly
29-08-06, 09:38 PM
halfords do have some quality tools, its just a shame the rest of the store lets them down.

ive had a oil filter chain i bought from there must be 2 years ago now and always done the job first time and it just snuggly fits around the filter without having to mess about with trying to lock it on

stv-b16a
29-08-06, 10:49 PM
yep halfords proffesional all the way. good tools good value.

beta are good too but dear.

cant justify the price of snap on, and there american lol. i lire there ratchets tho

ade
29-08-06, 10:57 PM
I find myself wandering round B&Q, Halfords and other tool places when I'm bored!

I go in for one thing and come out with hundreds of things - like yesterday I went to Halfords to get some under seal. Ended up buying underseal, liquid metal (bonding adhesive), body filler and more fibrol. I already have 2 tins of both virtually full!

I then went to B&Q to get 2 sheets of galvanized steel (which are ?20 each) and ended up buying -

2 chrome shower hoses
some bathroom sealer
tile grout
3 tools to apply the grout with (the fecking grout has a free tool with it!)
(the hoses on the showers we have are leaking a little)

6 bolts
10 nuts
a set of clamps and grips (13 various sizes for ?9.99 - bargin!)
1mtr steel bar
and a BIG can of expanding foam

and the steel sheets...

lol

stuartp
30-08-06, 12:17 PM
Well you lot moan about paying out for that, try my job (chippy) my tools are worth more than my van and car put together!! But my machanic tools are all sorts mainly CLARKE from machine mart life time gaurntee!!

meritlover
30-08-06, 12:23 PM
how many tools do you really need to repair a nova?
you can change a head gasket on a 1.2 with a wheel nut lever, a 13mm spanner a flat and a star screwdriver oh and sometimes a 15mm for the exhaust depending on how rusted thed heads are on the downpipe.

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 01:11 PM
you also need a torx bit to remopve the timing belt cover from the cam carrier. lol

Jack
30-08-06, 01:48 PM
how many tools do you really need to repair a nova?
you can change a head gasket on a 1.2 with a wheel nut lever, a 13mm spanner a flat and a star screwdriver oh and sometimes a 15mm for the exhaust depending on how rusted thed heads are on the downpipe.
Yay he's back lol

I usually just steal my Dad's tools if I need anything hefty, most of my stuff is small items used for electrical work.

I've got a few small tools I keep in the car, socket set, bunch of screwdrivers, hex keys, adjustable spanner, and a few other bits and pieces - dunno why as I never have and probably never will need them to fix anything :D

craig green
30-08-06, 02:18 PM
you also need a torx bit to remopve the timing belt cover from the cam carrier. lol

Nah. They can be snapped off.

Tools I carry are a 17/19mm switchable wheelbrace & a tow rope. :thumb:

Ash
30-08-06, 02:27 PM
ha i twisted my torx bit trying to undo the cover, so i snapped it off.

Also when i just started playing with my car i found the best workshop tool is a dad! There amazing - can undo anything with easy, i dont understand how but its all good.

Ash

nathan.
30-08-06, 07:34 PM
I have a serious tool fetish. lol I spend a fortune on them, ?70 -?100 a month lol work that out over the last 6-7 years.
I have snap-on at work and halfrauds at home.

draper
30-08-06, 07:36 PM
Also when i just started playing with my car i found the best workshop tool is a dad! There amazing - can undo anything with easy, i dont understand how but its all good.

Ash

yep, i often asked my dad to 'lend a hand' while i fixed something, then just passed him what he needed lol

Jos
30-08-06, 11:43 PM
My dad and I have a double garage full of tools. We have so many we can't fit a car in there now. I'm positive they're breeding :wtf:

I'm scared to go in alone... they might get me!

stv-b16a
30-08-06, 11:44 PM
lol