PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor struggling

Adam
28-08-06, 09:07 PM
Could this be down to a bad earth.
Most times i start my engine the starter struggles to turn it over, and keeps cutting out, its not a battery problem, as if i leave it a few seconds and try again it starts straight up quickly.

Its a old Bosch starter, and earths through the starter mounting bolt.

macc nova
28-08-06, 10:06 PM
ive got this problem, in the morning it starts fine, but by the end of the day it stuggles abit, have to rev the engine while starting it.

Adam
28-08-06, 10:06 PM
Mine just does it anytime,Lol.

SRlew
28-08-06, 10:35 PM
yer mine does it. only now and then though, like i could start it fine go to the shop and then it'd struggle for a bit, but oh well.

macc nova
29-08-06, 09:32 PM
spoke me mate about this today, because he saw it happen to mine when i was with him, and he said it could be when you turn off the engine and it's still warm the fuel in the carb evaporates, therefore next time you start it up theres no fuel in the carb, so you have to turn it over twice!

Adam
29-08-06, 10:37 PM
Thats deffo not my problem, the engine fires fine, its just my starter only runs when it wants,Lol.
One turn it could be full power and crank the engine quickly, another time it could just go Ehh Ehh Burrrr, and do nothing lol

SRlew
29-08-06, 10:48 PM
mine just goes Ehh Ehh Burrrr, Ehh Ehh Burrrr, Ehh Ehh Burrrr, for a while (didnt want to annoy anyone so i didnt put to many down)
then it'll finaly chug on sort of thing.

Donova
29-08-06, 11:00 PM
mine was struggling a bit recently, cleaned the connections yesterday and seems a lot better today, hope this helps.

Adam
29-08-06, 11:11 PM
I think i've found the problem with mine, was thinking earlier on, and i think i only did the earth strap nut finger tight(the one that goes from solenoid to the motor) lol
Which may explan why the current to it keeps cutting out.

I was meaning tighten it, but it must've slipped my mind,Lol.

And its now hard to get to with inlet etc fitted.

womble sri
29-08-06, 11:14 PM
One turn it could be full power and crank the engine quickly, another time it could just go Ehh Ehh Burrrr, and do nothing lol
ditto my sr hasnt been started for ages lat time it was a tow start :eek:
my mate wnted to give it ago cos he loves the sound of my carbs and even though i had tried every now and then to start it it turned over so i told him to stop so i could start it as it is a bit of an art! and hey presto. think the reason is the starter motor because it sounds so pathetic or could be lack of petty where i have cranked it so may times! what is the starter meant to be earthed to the earth off ny battery started smoking so its prob that after working as electrician over the summer i still have no idea

SRlew
29-08-06, 11:16 PM
might give that try. should help.

macc nova
30-08-06, 12:20 AM
is it diesel? sounds like what my mates corsa has! does my tits in waiting for him to start his. If i remember correctly it was down to his heater plugs not working properly.

Adam
30-08-06, 04:15 PM
Got under the car today, tightened the bolt that holds the earth strap between solenoid and starter(it wasn't even finger tight,Lol), and the starter turns much faster and doesn't cut out, RESULT :)

SRlew
30-08-06, 07:07 PM
i will defo have to have a look now then!

Nick
30-08-06, 08:15 PM
if your having problems, on some cheap starter motors, the little shoes with the coppery brush connectors (i think they brush the outside of the barrel as it turns).. well basically, they have a tendency to twist/fall/break off.

When i had my engine rebuilt and put in, it was doing it alot more. so we took the starter motor apart and found this to be the problem. Wapped a spare in, and it was fine !