PDA

View Full Version : fittin new springs and dampers

richi
25-08-06, 04:18 PM
how hard is it to do? my nova is currently dropped 60mm on gmax springs but want to raise it up with 40mm springs and damper, how hard i it to do and what will i need? thanks

Ste L
25-08-06, 04:39 PM
easy, very easy, buy the suspension kit, and kitted it, as the 60mm kit was fitted lol

richi
25-08-06, 07:39 PM
kitted it?

Lee
25-08-06, 09:36 PM
The fronts ARE a bit tricky if youve not done it before, you'll need some spring compressors to remove the springs from the struts.

And buy some new strut tops while your at it to save having to take them all to bits again when they start knocking lol

And get the cars tracking done when youve finished.

dannyb
26-08-06, 11:07 AM
And buy some new strut tops while your at it to save having to take them all to bits again when they start knocking lol

What bits do you mean by strut tops mate? I can't find an individual component called a strut top in the Haynes manual, do you mean all the bits that go on the strut above the bump stop (support ring, damper pad, seal ring, support bearings etc?)

Lee
26-08-06, 03:11 PM
I call em strut tops, some people call them 'top hats', its the big rubber thing that recesses into the inner wing and it contains a bearing which wears out and causes a knock lol

richi
26-08-06, 03:48 PM
where do i get that from? do i still need spring compressors cause its already lowered 60mm? is it hard to do then?

richi
27-08-06, 09:02 PM
?

dannyb
28-08-06, 12:53 AM
They job is an easy one, you will need a trolley jack, axle stands, a breaker bar with the correct sockets, spanners, mole grips, WD40/Plusgas and yes, you will still need to use the spring compressors (saw a set on Halfrauds for 20 quid or borrow a set from a garage).

The strut top bits you will be able to buy from a motor factors. Look on page 195 of the Hyanes manual and there is an exploded diagram of the front shock with the names of all the bits that come off of your OE struts. As Bottlethroddy says, replace these as they are probably shagged by now after being on the car 14+ years.