PDA

View Full Version : Brake lock

morley
25-08-06, 02:06 PM
Hi, my Nova has been sat for a while and i tried to get it our of the garage an hour ago. I started to drive but found my front drivers brake discs are sticking on solid to the disc so when i stopped plenty of smoke came out the wheel.

Do i need to remove wheel, pads & disc, re-grease and put back on or is it more likley me caliper is seized.

stv-b16a
25-08-06, 02:09 PM
i think nova calipers have a habit of siezing. where did the smoke come from. the front or rear.

morley
25-08-06, 02:15 PM
front drivers side.

They are Nova Gsi calipers with green stuff pads & grooved discs (dont no what make) they have only done about 200miles on the car to Donny car show and back earlier this year.

Stanley
25-08-06, 02:31 PM
christ youre doing well to smoke green stuff pads lol

whip the caliper off (wait for it to cool down first:thumb:) and get a g-clamp and compress the cylinder back into the caliper to free it off again

stv-b16a
25-08-06, 02:32 PM
thought it might have been one of the rear drums, what with the handbrake bein on continiously. obviously not. id say your caliper has siezed. get it of and have a gd goin over it. in fact youd be best gettin them both overhauled at the same time

morley
25-08-06, 02:41 PM
It got very hot, the caliper paint i have used on them has bubbled quite badly.

i do have a full set of drilled & grooved discs and green stuff pads for a set of Astra GTE front calipers and rear disc beam with the same so would have full astra set up, just havent got time to put them on at the moment and was thinking of using the ones on the car first becuase they are fairly new.

cheers for the help guys, looks like it will have to wait until i have a spare couple of hours to take me tools etc up to the car instead of the other way round.