PDA

View Full Version : make my 1.2 faster!!!!!

nova queen
23-08-06, 11:56 PM
i am looking for advice on how to make my 1.2 nova faster with out changing the engine (insurance lol)!!!!

stv-b16a
24-08-06, 12:12 AM
is it carb or injection?

stv-b16a
24-08-06, 12:19 AM
a good starting point would be fitting a free'er flowing exhaust.and perhaps a new air filter element and some new spark plugs and leads.

how much money do you want to spend?

benthehash
24-08-06, 12:21 AM
skys the limit ??? but it won't be worth it if your on a budget

i've a weber 32/34 on a manifold for sale which bolts straight on with a bit of know how and a ashley full zorst system including 4:1 manifold sounds grate!!
would bring a few more poneys your way PM me if your interested

have a look at the tuning guide at the top of the forum for some idears.

so much cheaper, easyer and better performance from a 1.3 sr engine and won't be much more on insurance anyway. If you do any mod's to your 1.2 your insurance will probably be void anyway!!

ben

nova queen
24-08-06, 12:35 AM
another question is it worth doing to a 1.2?

nova queen
24-08-06, 12:39 AM
its carb

benthehash
24-08-06, 12:41 AM
might feel a bit faster a lot more noise but you aint going to impress much

nova queen
24-08-06, 12:43 AM
so not worth it then?

stv-b16a
24-08-06, 12:43 AM
like ben said 1300 sr is a superior engine. but 1200 carb is better than 1200 injection and u cud definately make a go of building a quick little car for not a lot of money.

nova queen
24-08-06, 12:44 AM
well will have 2 wait a couple of years then lol

benthehash
24-08-06, 12:45 AM
if it's speed your after than not this engine unless you want loads of work and have a fat wallet or nice boyfriend!!

nova queen
24-08-06, 12:45 AM
only passed test in may so got quotes on sr etc but they were stupid

stv-b16a
24-08-06, 12:52 AM
stick with the 1.2 for now and if you really love your nova like i do fit a bigger engine like a 1600 in a few years. you could probably do this for the same price as tuning a smaller engine. but by all means get a second hand webber carb ad exhaust in the mean time for about ?1-200.

benthehash
24-08-06, 01:21 AM
cheers Stv nice sales pitch for me was after bout ?170 for system and carb on manifold if your interested queeny

stv-b16a
24-08-06, 01:23 AM
think nothing of it ben lol

Welsh Dan
24-08-06, 07:24 AM
You can fit a circular element K&N in the standard airbox and I'm told that its something you don't need to declare, wait a day or two for someone to correct me if I'm wrong though.

A good service and a tank of shell/esso/BP (95 octane not 97 octane) fuel always works a treat for mine. :D

Stuart
24-08-06, 09:54 AM
Unless your heart is really in it, its "pointless" tuning the 1.2 as a stop gap idea.
but for a bit of easier power for cheap though you could try a full service (oil, oil filter, spark plugs, ht leads(dont need fancy ones), dizzy cap/rotor arm, maybe a coolant flush) have the engine setup by a krypton tuner (should only be about ?25) so its running perfect. then slap on a cheap exhaust manifold/system (back boxes do feck all), maybe slip the 1.3 inlet with a weber carb on (dont forget a setup for that again). and generally make sure the engine is in good working order with good compression etc as it will be down on power from new due to wear.
if you wnat it to "feel" faster, maybe fit the 4.18 final drive to the gearbox (but you will use a bit more fuel at 70mph motorway cruise)
the following mods will make point to point times drop more than power upgrades can achieve ;)
fit better suspension (not a gmax kit lol)
fit better brakes
have good tyres on

Jack
24-08-06, 10:57 AM
I'm assuming the car is already insured as modified due to the bodykit?

TBH, when I listed the mods on my 1.2 back in the day, they upped it to a "modified group 6"; for the price I could have insured a 1.4SRi. Hindsight is a wonderful thing lol

If you want to keep away from engine mods though, strip it to make it lighter; fit better/bigger brakes; sort the handling with strut braces and suspension; and don't buy cheap ditch-finder tyres. The car might not be much faster in a straight line but you'll be quicker round the bends. Keep you insurance company abrest of all mods, and if they tell you on the phone that styling mods don't affect your insurance, get it in writing - CIS tried to blag that one with me :roll:

nova queen
24-08-06, 11:32 AM
cheers guys !!!!

nova queen
24-08-06, 11:35 AM
yer its all down as modified (made sure of that lol)

nova queen
24-08-06, 11:58 AM
i know i am asking lots of questions lately but you don't know unless u ask lol

dannyb
26-08-06, 01:24 AM
I have a 1.2 carb and running it without an interior (only doorcards, front carpet and 2 SR seats)it made a slight improvement all round, although it sat too high at the back, I didnt have any music, I didnt have a spare wheel and it was noisy as!

nova queen
26-08-06, 01:33 AM
the only problem for me is i have 2 kids to run around

Mike
26-08-06, 09:12 AM
I have a 1.2 carb and running it without an interior (only doorcards, front carpet and 2 SR seats)it made a slight improvement all round, although it sat too high at the back, I didnt have any music, I didnt have a spare wheel and it was noisy as!

Thats why you'll need to lower the rear 60mm :thumb:

the rear off mine is now that light, it doesnt even look lowered at at all! :wtf:

dannyb
26-08-06, 11:01 AM
the only problem for me is i have 2 kids to run around

Ditto, except its ony one in my case so in went the back seats again! I've upgraded the brakes to GSi Nova ones, added GSi Nova anti roll bars as a temporary measure to improve the boaty handling (I know this will spark controversy!!!) and 14 inch Cavalier steels with 185 55 tyres. It stops better now, does corners better but isn't any quicker off the mark. But total cost for these improvements - about 80 quid, something i don't begrudge paying on my 300 quid runaround.

andy_017
26-08-06, 12:46 PM
PM'd benthehash:thumb:

Donova
27-08-06, 12:44 AM
Don't be going too quick with two kids on board please:cry: