PDA

View Full Version : starter problems

novamadman
22-08-06, 06:27 PM
turns over ok but will onl fire whe you stop turning over - ave this problem with two cars if anyone has any ideas or is it just faulty starter

wired up properly and like i say turns over fine

shane

General Baxter
22-08-06, 06:31 PM
injection?

novamadman
22-08-06, 06:32 PM
injection?

nope both carb

mowgli
22-08-06, 08:44 PM
it is a ballast resistor problem

the coil has a resistive wire feeding it from the ignition switch at 6 volts. when the starter is turning, the drain on the battery causes the voltage to drop too low to make a spark

there is a link wire from the starter solenoid which boosts the feed voltage to the coil so it will spark.
there will be a fault with this link.

novamadman
22-08-06, 09:32 PM

the coil has a resistive wire feeding it from the ignition switch at 6 volts. when the starter is turning, the drain on the battery causes the voltage to drop too low to make a spark

there is a link wire from the starter solenoid which boosts the feed voltage to the coil so it will spark.

thanks ill have a look

shane

Adam
23-08-06, 12:07 AM

Thats on 1L models Only.

novamadman
23-08-06, 01:54 AM
Thats on 1L models Only.

one of them was a 1 litre before 1.2 was fitted, i ran a wire from ign live to coil for spark and it starts fine hwen you let off the key but will turn over all day quite quickly as well without firing

any ideas

shane

Adam
23-08-06, 08:20 PM
Lol, it only fires when you stop cranking?

Does the ignition live stay 12v live when cranking? ;)

mowgli
23-08-06, 08:36 PM
I will ask you to re-read my last post... my current car is a 1.0 with a 1.6i in it. When my brother & I stuck a scirocco lump into a caddy pickup, we had exactly the same problem. So if the car is a hybrid, what coil are you using? if it is the delco type from the 1.2 then you need to split out the wiring loom & chase the coil feed wire (strange clear cover) back to the point where it joins the ign live from the ign switch & join in a new normal wire in its place.
trust me on this, cos it is the same thing you have to do to get a 1.6i to work.

novamadman
23-08-06, 10:08 PM
I will ask you to re-read my last post... my current car is a 1.0 with a 1.6i in it. When my brother & I stuck a scirocco lump into a caddy pickup, we had exactly the same problem. So if the car is a hybrid, what coil are you using? if it is the delco type from the 1.2 then you need to split out the wiring loom & chase the coil feed wire (strange clear cover) back to the point where it joins the ign live from the ign switch & join in a new normal wire in its place.
trust me on this, cos it is the same thing you have to do to get a 1.6i to work.

1 litre does not have a wire to coil from ign for spark, so i had to run my own

shane

mowgli
23-08-06, 10:20 PM
right. there are 2 sorts of ignition on wire from the switch. the one that allows the heater/wipers etc.(think about it, the wipers go off when you start the engine so you get max oomph from the battery) & the one that works the coil. It will be there. there is always a coil feed wire. on the 1 litre, it is this resistive wire that has a clear coating.you have to find the source of it on the ign switch.

novamadman
23-08-06, 10:23 PM
right. there are 2 sorts of ignition on wire from the switch. the one that allows the heater/wipers etc.(think about it, the wipers go off when you start the engine so you get max oomph from the battery) & the one that works the coil. It will be there. there is always a coil feed wire. on the 1 litre, it is this resistive wire that has a clear coating.you have to find the source of it on the ign switch.

i know what you mean now, be patient with me im quite slow lol, cheers for advice m8 ill have a look in the morning before mot as i couldnt really be ****d to look now

cheers again

shane