PDA

View Full Version : Throttle bodies

stv-b16a
22-08-06, 12:53 AM
can anyone tell me what are the main advantages of throttle bodies over carbs.
pulled a 1600 16v out of a corsa sport on sat and am now desperately trying to get a picture in my head of what i want from it.
it will be gin into my little 1.2 4 speed once i source a gsi cr box.

first of all im thinking fuelling and intake. someone on here told me the intake manifold on these engines is sh***. so naturally i was thinkin of rippin the whole lot off and bolting on a set of 40's.

but then an other little birdie told me the carbs wont like the 16v. wot did they mean by this?
they also said i wud be better of with TB's. the engine will be gettin modified in other areas too like exhaust,head,cams and poss crank,rods,valvetrain ect. any help would be really appreciated. thanks. Steve. :confused:

Ash
22-08-06, 01:28 AM
http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64901

basically T40's for 8v's and TB's for 16v's - easy

A

stv-b16a
22-08-06, 02:41 AM
WHY NOT T40'S for 16v. TB,s are very dear lol

Stuart
22-08-06, 11:44 AM
carbs are good, but TB's are better on the 16V... no reason not to use the carbs, but you wont get the same gains and driveability that TB's can offer....

stv-b16a
22-08-06, 11:50 PM
carbs it is

Adam
23-08-06, 12:09 AM
You might have problems come MOT emissions time fitting 40s to a modern 16v engine.

chap
23-08-06, 11:43 AM
can anyone tell me what are the main advantages of throttle bodies over carbs.

So, fuel injection Vs Carburation (sp)

:thumb: Fuel inj - mappable ecu for BEST control over fueling/ignition = best BHP, fuel econimy. OEM ecu probably ok to handle exhaust/air filter mods

Carb - can't be optimased over entire rpm range, may need ecu to control ignition

Basically, though it will cost more, injetction is superior and will produce a much better mannered engine that's easier to drive.