PDA

View Full Version : What 1.6 engines are available?

dannyb
21-08-06, 05:44 PM
I have a 1.2 carb fed Merit which is a little on the slow side! I have been thinking about fitting a larger capacity small block engine which is carb fed, such as a 1.3/1.4 SR engine. Is there a carb'd 1.6 engine which will go into my car, perhaps from an older Cavalier/Astra? I don't want a fuel injected engine as I've been told I will have to change the fuel lines/fuel tank, as well as chop the wiring about. I want a simple conversion for the first time engine swapper (I have a friend who has done F**d engine swaps, but I want to get my hands dirty and learn from this too!!).
Im not after massive power gains, this will be more of a cheap way to learn some mechanical knowledge and make my car slightly quicker, while being easy(ish) on the fuel and still reasonable to insure. I already have uprated the suspension (apex shock and spring kit) and GSi brakes.

stafford
21-08-06, 07:01 PM
astra do a 1.6 carb but i dont know weather it is big or small block
ive raced 1.6 16v and smoked them i only have a 1.4 sri nova and my m8 has a 1.4 sri engine on a 32/34 weber and a high lift cam wit stage 2 head and it beats mine no prob

SuperNova!
21-08-06, 07:21 PM
I have a 1600 small block, 16sv carb engine.

It came from a cavalier but you need to make sure you get a SV not an SE because the SE is big block.

The engines are very torquey and are very reliable.

:thumb:

Jack
21-08-06, 07:24 PM
Got a feeling the Astra one, 16SV?, might be a big block; only puts out something like 80-90bhp. How about replacing the injection on a 1.6 with T40s? Its possible to have around 140+bhp with various other bits fettled with.

[edit]ahh, the SE is the big block then lol

dannyb
21-08-06, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies people; 16SV it will be then. 140bhp is tempting but t40s will be fairly expensive, whereas I expect I can buy an rotten MOT failure Cav for next to nothing, take the engine out and pretty much do a straight swap for student style pennies (the gasket/belts/engine swap work will be done by me and a mate)! Plus when the January loan comes in I could start to consider T40s as a replacement...

Adam
21-08-06, 11:42 PM
Start with a nova gte/gsi engine then if your going t40s route.
100bhp as standard.
Best engine to fit 40s to.

dannyb
21-08-06, 11:46 PM
This is true, but for the meantime, I'm dead set on the 16SV purely for financial reasons! Where on the block do I check to see that its a 16SV engine and not a SE?