PDA

View Full Version : mechanical p/s in nova???

Projectjordan
20-08-06, 12:55 PM
I've just been offered a Nova GTE, with a corsa 1.4 16v engine for not bad money.

I've got no worries about this mod, but the car has also been fitted with p/s.
apparently this uses the shortened corsa rack - again seen it done before.

My concern is it uses the std corsa pump and not the Saxo electrical pump???

has anyone seen this done before? is it reliable?

cheers

Ryan

craig green
20-08-06, 04:24 PM
sure its reliable, its all GM kit. I think if it runs the GM pump you will have the wide multi V belt which might need mods for it to clear the chassis leg like a 2.0 XE would.

I'm about to fit mine with a Renault 12v pump soon.

Bouch
20-08-06, 05:50 PM
I haven't heard any bad reports about the GM power steering, but the Saxo eleccy pumps are known to pack in.
My day car's a saxo and the power steering pump is playing up all the time!!!!

Bouch

Rich
20-08-06, 06:17 PM
I would be happy its all GM and not french

craig green
20-08-06, 06:33 PM
I haven't heard any bad reports about the GM power steering, but the Saxo eleccy pumps are known to pack in.
My day car's a saxo and the power steering pump is playing up all the time!!!!

Bouch

My girlfriend has an S plate VTR of 2 yrs & its given no trouble at all. The 12v pump Ive got is a Renault one I beleive. It was bought from power steering services for ?180. But I had it off a mate who got it with an ex Gary Poole Astra GTE shell he bought, ?20 thankyou!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/STA40361.jpg

I got it with some of the hoses & connections still in place & the wiring loom & relay.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/STA40362.jpg
Nice bailey tank & stainless braided hoses would look trick.

Mark Beeson runs a similar setup, he's got rare 'quik' internals in his rack. Ive had a play with that & I was perfectly impressed. I'm fitting it on mine because the steering has always seemed really heavy ever since I had at as a totally std GSi on 175 width tyres. Probably a dud rack but my mates XE that is lower has lighter steering...