PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear change - yes it can be done

novamadman
18-08-06, 01:42 AM
When i was enquiring about boxes and reading other threads about cr and wr boxes, final drives e.t.c one of the things in my head and others too was if you fit a close ratio box with one of the higher final drives - your top revs will be a bollocks and fuel consumption will go down the ****ter.

I fitted a f13 cr with 4.53, granted not everyone will fit a 4.53 more common is 4.18 but i imagine its pretty similar in that at motorway or normal cruising along/ driving speeds it has high revs.

Well mine did - at 45mph in 5th i was sitting at 2800 rpm!!! which doesnt sound like much but i could swear i seen the fuel gauge dropping lol - anyway i changed the 5th gear to one out of a wr 5 speed and it has dropped the revs down to 2000rpm which again probably doesnt sound like much but its a massive difference when driving.

Its easy as pie and only took 40 mins.

Sort of a pointless thread but its just to say that yes it can be done very easily, as it was never cleared up when i asked about it or others did - so now it is :)

Hope this is of help to someone

Shane

Stuart
18-08-06, 08:29 AM
ive always said that 5th can be swapped piece of piss.... its the others that cant be done ;)

novamadman
18-08-06, 11:31 PM
ive always said that 5th can be swapped piece of piss.... its the others that cant be done ;)

thanks for telling me lol

not attempted the others yet and dont see any real point tbh why would you ever need them changed, might try it some day to prove you wrong lol

shane

Mark Beeson
19-08-06, 08:41 PM
I change my 5th all the time! cover off 2 bolts 2 circlips done!

novamadman
19-08-06, 11:13 PM
yeah, the two bolts can be a bit of a mofo, ive shagged the ends of a few when taking out for the very first time as they are in with locktight. shane

doherty
20-08-06, 02:38 AM
yeah, the two bolts can be a bit of a mofo, ive shagged the ends of a few when taking out for the very first time as they are in with locktight. shane

ive shagged the endss offa few when on the very first rtime meetinlol

wat all else ytou got done to her ladd???

must get a spin in her somday...:D

SuperNova!
20-08-06, 11:09 AM
If I havnt got a fifth in my box, can I still just put one just as easy?

novamadman
20-08-06, 11:43 AM
If I havnt got a fifth in my box, can I still just put one just as easy?

no you need a 5 speed box

different lay and main shafts.

doherty - ;)

Mark Beeson
20-08-06, 11:13 PM
You'd pick up a box for ?30! 5 speed