PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversions

stv-b16a
15-08-06, 05:24 PM
anyone any pics or info on conversions other than the usual xe/let?

ive seen a couple with suzuki swift engines, these are bulletproof and with 100hp standard from a 1300. very light and compact too.

i was thinking along the lines of a b16a i.e.honda civic engine.160hp standard, again quite light and compact, only problem being driveshafts,mounts etc.

ive seen it in a mini though, any thoughts?or am i better just sticking to gm?

want to use the car for fastroad/track days.so handling being a priority.
ive heard let's are a bit heavy and not very good through the twisty stuff.

cheers

Philsutton
15-08-06, 05:32 PM
i came 7th on the handling at totb best with a big lardy let an 6 speed up front beating many small jap cars. The "big block nova/corsas dont handle" is just a myth that has arisen from all the dick heads that have that have built their xe's/let's on g-max 40mm lowering springs an then are shocked why they dont handle.

Anything is possible though so long as you have enough money and time. Drive shafts wise your going to have to have some custom ones and mounts but it is do able just depends how much your willing to put into it.

stv-b16a
15-08-06, 05:42 PM
lol i no a few of these boys too,who fit a set of lowering springs and think theyre colin mcrae.

i suppose it would be a case of fitting the engine, finding out the corner weights and setting dampers/springrates to suit.

have u ever seen any non gm engine novas?

i like the idea of a honda unit, 8500 revs and vtec would work well in a car as light as the nova. very tunable too.

stv-b16a
15-08-06, 05:50 PM
does anyone know the weight of a c20 let? i would like to compare it to the weight of a b16a (honda engine) , but im starting to convince myself that the let would be the way to go. tried and tested and all that. lots of companies doing kits etc. plus turbo is addictive but so is vtec.