PDA

View Full Version : petrol cap - MOT

16vmini
15-08-06, 09:47 AM
I have one of those plastic 1 size fits all cap from halfords on my car , will this pass the MOT ? sure i read somewhere it would fail as they need to be lockable.

anyone ?

Matt

Matt2107
15-08-06, 09:55 AM
I think they are temporary for when you lose them but will the MOT'er actually notice.

Surely its up to you whether its a locking one or not though... its your petrol.
As long as it doesnt fall out when you drive down the road I would have thought it'd be ok.

TonySR
15-08-06, 10:08 AM
The last mot I had one on failed & that had a locking flap.

http://www.ukmot.com/6-7.asp

Scroll down

Jack
15-08-06, 10:41 AM
As long as it doesnt fall out when you drive down the road I would have thought it'd be ok.
LMFAO I went all the way down to Exeter from Yeovil - a good 50 miles - with no petrol cap on, in my hatch. Left it at the Asda petrol station, on the pump :tard: Funny thing was, when I drove all the way back again about 3 hours later it was still there lol

DI4BLO
15-08-06, 11:31 AM
Petrol cap needs to lock for an mot. Had an mot failure on my cavalier for this reason, showed the tester that the flap locks with the doors, and that was fine but on the nova you wont pass without afaik.

16vmini
15-08-06, 11:33 AM
cool , theres a few on ebay for not much , will buy one.

Matt

16vmini
18-08-06, 09:05 AM
ok bought a nova petrol cap of ebay , its quite large like nova ones are , but it does not fit ?? basically there is not a big enough recess for it to go into , so it cant reach the filler neck ?

is there a different type of petrol cap for the 4 doors ?? :)

Matt