PDA

View Full Version : problem with yokies...

chimp007_uk
14-08-06, 08:28 PM
i'm running my nova on yokohama a510 tyres on the front and a509's on the rear. does anyone else run yokohama tyres and have prolems with grip? especially in the wet...!!! my car just slides :(

Ash
14-08-06, 08:42 PM
yep! a539's alrite mid summer when its hot, rains is alright, but damp is shocking. i'm getting Goodyear F1's

A

Dan
14-08-06, 08:44 PM
The BEST tyre for all round weather is the eagle f1 tyres, i have always sworn by these and always will. Even at llandow in the wet last week I didnt back off anywhere and gave them a good raping with no sliding or moments at all just grip grip grip.

(which would explain why i ruined 2 of them in the wet lol )

Welsh Dan
14-08-06, 11:35 PM
I've got 185/60R14 DS-G2 Eagle F1's on and I love them.

The problem is that on knackered old suspension it'll kick a wheel in the air before it lets go :D.

chimp007_uk
15-08-06, 12:13 AM
mine are poo... when it's dry they're not too bad, but the car starts to understeer, you ease off just that little bit and the rear comes flying round... dont get me started what it's like driving in the wet... wheelspins through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and just grips in 4th and thats not even accelerating hard... it's like driving on ice going round corners.

craig green
15-08-06, 12:03 PM
I'm running the exact tyre set up. A510 on fr with 539 on rear.

A510s are pants in the wet, always have been hence when the 539 was launched it was heralded as a wet tyre. (yeah right)

Tbh I think Yoko's are utter dirt anyway. They are japanese tyres designed for use on Japanese asphalt. We have tarmac in the UK & according to a guy Ive befriended at my local tyre depot. YOKOs are scum.

I'm with him on that, I had A520s years ago on some Team Dynamics wheels & I found them awfull, really understeery & crap wet or dry. I got my current ones cheap & its only on a 1.2 work wagon.

craig green
15-08-06, 12:04 PM
In the dry they feel like they are made of Blu tack

In the wet they feel like they are made of hard plastic.

Mike
15-08-06, 12:07 PM
539's are crap n the wet!! There tolerable in the dry! A520's i found were unbeatable in the dry and not that bad in the wet.

Falken ze512, budget tyres but i found very very good in the dry, wet and even the snow last year!

craig green
15-08-06, 12:22 PM
Kind of agree. I run my 520s with about 25 psi to try & tame the understeer in the wet & keep em predictable.

In my opinion though different cars use tyre grip differently, those opinions are just my findings on a Nova. Have to admit though, I'm gonna try Goodyears or Fulda next time.

My fave tyre so far though is Michelin Pilot exalto. Awesome tyres tbh & I liked Continental sport contact aswell.

Ste L
15-08-06, 12:35 PM
i've never used yoko's heard different things about them, some swear by them some hate them...

at the min, im running khumo ecsta's, and i find these really grippy, in the dry, and not too bad in the wet

lj
15-08-06, 01:33 PM
yokos are **** ion the wet, ok in the dry! as above damp they are shocking! best i've found so far have been kumos!

chimp007_uk
15-08-06, 06:11 PM
i had to get a set of wheels really quick when i got the car to mot it, and found astra gte alloys in really good nick with the yokies on, on ebay for ?50. so had to get them, but will never get them again...!!!

DaveMarshall
15-08-06, 08:21 PM
I run A539's on my LET Nova, for the money I see them as a very good all rounder, they aren't amazing in the wet but i've driven a lot worse, in the dry I found them very good.

John
15-08-06, 10:07 PM
yep i agree dave, not fantastic in the wet, but i reckon a539s are good all rounders. Never tried the other yokes you mention, so can't really comment.