PDA

View Full Version : About Nova 4x4....

Teao
14-08-06, 08:27 AM
So, I am thinking about Nowa 4x4 ,but I have to know which gearboxes are for 4x4 and what are their ratios and mainli I am interested in Final Drive ratios. If anybody can help....:cry:

Will F
14-08-06, 09:11 AM
Only box you can use is F28 with a transfer box... You will never do it though... you basically need the complete Cav/Calibra floor pan...

Teao
14-08-06, 09:26 AM
Is only F28 for 4x4 gearbox ? What are the ratios and the final drive ratio...

Novasport
14-08-06, 10:44 AM
There is a Nova on Ebay now which has been partially done. Would be a good starting point.

burgo
14-08-06, 11:30 AM
actually they do an f20 which is a 4x4 box aswell :P

Mike
14-08-06, 12:06 PM
You will never do it though... you basically need the complete Cav/Calibra floor pan...

There not exactly that hard to get hold of though. :thumb: Just cut out the transmission tunnel!

Matt2107
14-08-06, 12:24 PM
A major job... not for the feint hearted.

DIY*VALVER84
14-08-06, 10:57 PM
as above... but good luck tho.
just a thought here but what about spaceframe and false floor frame to mount engine if needed and false floor to accomodate the 4x4 running gear i.e prop and transfer units. lets face it tho...it would be a serious bit of kit!!!

Philsutton
15-08-06, 05:06 PM
like burgo said they do a f20 4x4 which i what i would use to start with unless your running silly power.

DaveMarshall
15-08-06, 08:17 PM
Vauxhall 4x4 systems are made of Chocolate so not much point, better spending your money on getting it to handle as FWD

Teao
17-08-06, 07:54 AM
Can I change the final drive ratio of F20 with other from any other F...?Will it fit? Have anybody see the final drive of F20? Spme ideas....:confused:

Jack
17-08-06, 10:10 AM
Would it not be possible to butcher the 4WD system from another small 4WD car? Pulsar perhaps? Or even a Panda lol

Stuart
17-08-06, 10:35 AM
id personally take one off a justy....

why do you want to change the F20 FD ?
the FD's available for the F20 are

loggyboy
17-08-06, 10:39 AM
Would it not be possible to butcher the 4WD system from another small 4WD car? Pulsar perhaps? Or even a Panda lol

if austin can link an english axel to a longditudinal XE then anything is possible. lol

Mike
17-08-06, 10:44 AM
A major job... not for the feint hearted.

Give me a few months, and ill sort one out! And im not joking, once i start this new job, i WILL make one!!

What would be better to use, a saloon or hatch back shell??

burgo
17-08-06, 11:15 AM
id personally take one off a justy....

ive been looking at them with this idea in mind for fooking years

DIY*VALVER84
17-08-06, 12:09 PM
it would work!

Mike
17-08-06, 12:11 PM
Justy, what the heck is that?

Jack
17-08-06, 12:14 PM
What would be better to use, a saloon or hatch back shell??
Aside from the fact that saloons are far superior to hatches :D I don't think there would be any advantage from one to the other? Floor pan is just the same, apart from the saloon having the boot stuck on the back..?

dannyb
17-08-06, 04:49 PM
Justy, what the heck is that?

A little piece of Subaru machinery.

http://www.subaruklub.hu/subaru_pictures/subaru_justy_09.jpg

IIRC the Saloon has a longer wheelbase than the hatchback so it'd be a case of finding the right 4WD floorpan and finding which shell would go on best.

Jack
17-08-06, 05:16 PM
Subaru do make other cars aside from the Impreza :D I remember telling one of my gfs that, as she thought Subaru was the name of the car lol

Anywoo, According to Carfolio, the saloon and hatch have the same wheelbase.

Teao
18-08-06, 07:25 AM
From which gearbox can I take a diferential with 3,94 ratio -to fit to F20? And are you sure 100% that it will fit to F20?:eek:

Stuart
18-08-06, 08:24 AM
iirc (the spreadsheet is at work) the 3.94 is from an F16.

you need to rebuild the entire output shaft for a FD change, rather than the simple F10/13 idea.

Mike
18-08-06, 08:30 AM
Rahh! I bet there ace little cars, if a little old like. I think i may just fit a calibra floorplan into a nova tbh as ive never seen one of them in a breakers??

Stuart
18-08-06, 08:34 AM
you dont need to "fit the floorpan" in you jsut need to cut it up and space frame the bits for the tunnel etc

Mike
18-08-06, 10:51 AM
well, i meant the transmission tunnel tbh, and rear suspension pickups as the rear chassis legs would need to be altered to fit the rear drive shafts and suspension set up aswell.

The petrol tank would need to go into the boot, so the prop shaft doesnt foul it, and a side exit exhaust would be a good idea too.

Hhhhhm, now im starting to really think about definetly doing this????

burgo
18-08-06, 12:00 PM
all nova floor pans are exactly the same the saloons literaly just have an extra bit welded in lol. as you using calibra stuff you would have to fit wide archs or do lots of custom fabrication to make it fit due to calibras bein wider

Mike
18-08-06, 12:03 PM
thing is calibra's are easyer to get hold of then a 4wd cavvy

Matt2107
18-08-06, 12:05 PM
I remember telling one of my gfs that,

How many gf's do you have???

:D

Mike
18-08-06, 12:06 PM
How many gf's do you have???

:D

RJ, knowing him prolly about 10 lmfao

burgo
18-08-06, 12:08 PM
thing is calibra's are easyer to get hold of then a 4wd cavvycavvy and calibras have identicle floor pans anyway so makes no difference which you get

Mike
18-08-06, 12:14 PM
wide arches it'll have to be then.

DIY*VALVER84
18-08-06, 12:58 PM
sorry but you do have to do this? because if you dont then i will!
just chop your existing floor fabricate a spaceframe for the tunnel checking that you have all clearances for both the prop and the transfer box(for this you will need to make a mount for the t'box) then go to your local breakers yard and completley remove the rear struts and inner wheel arches aswell as running gear from the calibra, remove your inner arches and suspension. offer the new stuff up to the nova and you'll sort of see a way forward me thinks. it all seems so simple in my head but your bound to hit some bumps in the road lol.have you thought bout a way round the brake problem? and you will have to mount a custom fuel cell in the boot.
someone must of done this conversion before?

Jack
18-08-06, 12:59 PM
I haven't see any 4wd calibras around for donkeys round here, let alone cavs :(

And I'm not a manwhore! lol

Mike
18-08-06, 01:44 PM
sorry but you do have to do this? because if you dont then i will!
just chop your existing floor fabricate a spaceframe for the tunnel checking that you have all clearances for both the prop and the transfer box(for this you will need to make a mount for the t'box) then go to your local breakers yard and completley remove the rear struts and inner wheel arches aswell as running gear from the calibra, remove your inner arches and suspension. offer the new stuff up to the nova and you'll sort of see a way forward me thinks. it all seems so simple in my head but your bound to hit some bumps in the road lol.have you thought bout a way round the brake problem? and you will have to mount a custom fuel cell in the boot.
someone must of done this conversion before?

Yes i do have to do it. Ive seen a few 4wd corsa rally cars before. Theres loads more to it then that, like shortened prop shaft, wider axles, braking system and fuelling!

And a few bumps? More like a few mountains!! Why do you think back in the 90's it used to cost about ?8k to get it done by motorsport professionals!!

DIY*VALVER84
18-08-06, 02:26 PM
they charged bout 8k cuz it took the nuff time labour wise...but when its your own car and your doing it yourself then it aint gonna cost that much.
and what do you mean by wider axle base??? yes you will have to shorten the prop and i know theres more to it than just what i said earlia. we'll all be wanting running commentary when you start it.

Mike
18-08-06, 04:45 PM
Running commentry? Daily or weekly pictures you mean!

Give me a chance to sort out my SR, then ill get another nova shell or complete car, and really get cracking on with it!

rednova
18-08-06, 05:59 PM
i was looking into welding a mr2 turbo floorpan and running gear into a nova - wheel bases are pretty much identical - and technically youd only need the rear end lol - i know its not 4x4 but its different

Mike
18-08-06, 09:16 PM
reet, now the re-shell is coming to a close, its time for some made bidding on eBay.

First for some more steel cutting blades for me disc cutter, then some MIG flux and then another nova and possibly an entire 4wd calibra or cavvy!

General Baxter
20-08-06, 10:11 AM
your all doing it wrong,

unless you just want to build a car 4x4, im going for an off roader lol