PDA

View Full Version : 4 Branch Manifold Fitting Help

nicky_wilko
13-08-06, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

Tried searching but couldnt find anything. What it is i have just fitted an Ashley 4-1 manifold to my 1990 Nova GTE and its blowing like a c*** from where it bolts to the head. As most will know its near impossible to get to the lower bolts due to the design of the manifold so i was told to use fome allen key bolts instead. Should i replace the gasket or use some sort of exhaust paste? Any help and advice would be great. :thumb:

Cheers lads, Nick

mad-driver
13-08-06, 07:34 PM
Put a new gasket on if you didnt in the first place, as that wont help, and it can be done, using an elbow on a rachet helps

Riggy
13-08-06, 07:37 PM
as said you should have fitted a new gasket

and its not to hard to fit all 8 bolts , i did it on the back of a recovery truck " PV lol

John
Hi mate, gasket should be replaced everytime the manifold is removed really. Try taking the grille out and reaching through with a long extension to tighten the studs on the os. I'd try and stick to studs and nuts if poss. Also worth checking that the sealing flace is flat. i fitted a 4 branch once that had a slight blob of weld protruding and it blew like a goodun!

nicky_wilko
Yeah was going to put a new gasket on but was told by the company i got the manifold off not to bother. :tard:

What do you mean by a 'elbow'?

Thanks

Adam
13-08-06, 07:50 PM
As G88KAG said, take the grill off, and use a long extension bar on a socket wrench, can get to them easy.

nicky_wilko
13-08-06, 07:53 PM
As G88KAG said, take the grill off, and use a long extension bar on a socket wrench, can get to them easy.

Theres 2 of the lower nuts (the 2 on the left when looking from the front of the car) that are directly behind the manifold that i cant get to the others are fine :confused:

Adam
13-08-06, 07:54 PM
Ahh, get a small 13mm ring spanner on them :)

nicky_wilko
13-08-06, 07:57 PM
Thanks mate il have a play when i get the new gasket. Also is there any special way of tightening the nuts back up as some of the nuts came of on there own and others the whole bolt and nut came out?

John
13-08-06, 07:58 PM
Always wind the studs back into the head before refitting the manifold.

nicky_wilko
13-08-06, 08:02 PM
Always wind the studs back into the head before refitting the manifold.

Any special way or just by hand?

garyc
13-08-06, 08:27 PM
I used some cap head bolts then used a suitable allen key to do them up. Made it a 5 min job rather then 1 hour and scraping your knuckles off!

nicky_wilko
13-08-06, 08:31 PM
I used some cap head bolts then used a suitable allen key to do them up. Made it a 5 min job rather then 1 hour and scraping your knuckles off!

Sorry to sound thick but whats a cap head bolt? Thanks

Adam
14-08-06, 07:08 PM
Allen key type.

Ash
14-08-06, 07:39 PM
or use two nuts locked up to each other...

nicky_wilko
14-08-06, 09:08 PM
Thanks alot lads got it all sorted tonight. Got a new Gasket and cleaned all the threads on the studs etc. Doesnt blow or anything now. Sounds a beast too.

Thanks again!