PDA

View Full Version : relocating radiator (possible solution)

ade
12-08-06, 11:45 PM
Posted a thread a while back looking for a solution to moving my rad as part of my rebuild.

problem is my new Punto lights were obstructing the passenger side mount and I needed to move across 2" or so. I didnt really want to drill new mounting holes in my new lower valance so after thinking long and hard came up with this solution.

Take 1 U shaped metal bar and sit radiator in it through 2 drilled holes.

Need to drill to small 1cm holes for the new radiator pegs - but these are more for additional support.

Where the existing mounting points were, drop 2 screws which will be self tapped into the U bar into the holes. Because the ends of the radiator (the plastic bits) are wider that ther actual rad itself, you need to cut 2 sections out of it. This is handy because it stops the rad moving about and lock it in place making a perfect cradle!

Secure the tops and sides by drilling out the existing mounting point welds and remounting with either rivets or new welds -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad1.jpg

I've yet to actually do it but I cant see why it wont work.

Dod
12-08-06, 11:56 PM
Right, so basicially you're just moving the rad accross? Your Fan may fowl yor Manifold though, but this can easily be rectified with a corsa Slim line item. Also, be careful this wont kink any of your hoses as well.

dan23
13-08-06, 12:03 AM
before you start mucking with all that.there must be an easier way as a few people on here have done it an no one has mentioned moving the rad . have u tryed to fit a punto rad instead

stuartp
13-08-06, 12:15 AM
Ade have you recived my text about fuel lines?

General Baxter
13-08-06, 12:20 AM
you can do anything with time

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/04-08-06_0728.jpg

ade
13-08-06, 01:07 AM
It shouldnt foul on the manifold and I'm only moving it 1.5" towards the drivers side - theres a mount already there for left hand drive Novas so there wouldnt be any fouling issues.

Hose wise - thought of this and dont think it will kink. I'm not moving it enough to cause any problems.

Stuart - sent you a PM - cheers matey!

Dod
13-08-06, 09:18 PM
Good stuff Ade, liking it.