PDA

View Full Version : still no nova

kronk10
12-08-06, 03:54 PM
Hi guys i have been waiting for about :cry:3 weeks now for my car (1.4 sr)as it is having a full rebuild and tuned up etc. The car was on the rollers today to get my webbers tuned up and made 93 bhp @ 5350 rpm:thumb: BUT i need a new fuel pump so i will have to bloody wait anouther couple of days!!!!!!!!! spec includes full sportex exhaust system and 4-2-1 manifold, ported and polished 1.6 cylinder head, Newmann road/rally cam irmscher inlet manifold, polished exhaust ports, rebuilt bottom end with new big end shells and ARP rod bolts. Webbers rebuilt and cleaned and a whole other load of stuff that i am to depressed to think about. It hasnt been fully ran in yet so iam hoping for more bhp, i was just wondering what else can i do to get more bhp out of my little 1.4. any constructive suggestions will do!!!!!:confused:

draper
12-08-06, 03:58 PM
strip the interior to save weight, that'll make your car faster. decent suspension/brakes will help aswell

and there always nitrous !

Mark
12-08-06, 04:01 PM
When do we get to see the pics?

kronk10
12-08-06, 04:04 PM
strip the interior to save weight, that'll make your car faster. decent suspension/brakes will help aswell

and there always nitrous !

I really wanna keep the interior but i have though about stripping it out??? I have some bilstiens ready to be fitted witha 40 mm drop and i am going to get some strut braces. But other than that i dunno, they are fitting an electronic fuel pump and regulator so it should fuel well at high revs now. I was really looking forward to getting it back today and then they ring me and nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo:cry:

draper
12-08-06, 04:05 PM
where are you getting the work done ??

kronk10
12-08-06, 04:14 PM
When do we get to see the pics?
When i can be bothered to get my fat **** off down therelol i feel really down now i have been looking forward to it all day at work and as soon as i walk in my front door my dad goes '' bad news'' i shat my pants. I really wanna put pics up but the car aint finished yet i want to paint my bumpers black and touch up a few minor bits on the body work here are some old pics if you musthttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jonboy100/DSCF1466new.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jonboy100/DSCF1461new.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jonboy100/DSCF1460new.jpg
A old pic with my old wheels
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jonboy100/IMG_9206new.jpg

kronk10
12-08-06, 04:16 PM
where are you getting the work done ??

A place called protune in staffordshire

Mark
12-08-06, 04:39 PM
I do like a tidy white Nova...

kronk10
12-08-06, 05:24 PM
I do like a tidy white Nova...

my pleasure:)

mad-driver
12-08-06, 05:34 PM
Looks exactly how mine does, or did when i bought it, except the opposite colour lol.

Very nice mate, mines on the rollers next thursday hoping for just over 100bhp

draper
12-08-06, 05:39 PM
i prefer the steel wheels on it tho

mad-driver
12-08-06, 05:41 PM
Mine looked wicked on steelies, i would have liked to have kept them on and lowered it, but actually stopping the car is more important so i had to change the wheels lol

kronk10
12-08-06, 05:50 PM
Mine looked wicked on steelies, i would have liked to have kept them on and lowered it, but actually stopping the car is more important so i had to change the wheels lol

I have 2litre 16 v brakes on now will they go behind normal steelies

kronk10
12-08-06, 05:52 PM
Looks exactly how mine does, or did when i bought it, except the opposite colour lol.

Very nice mate, mines on the rollers next thursday hoping for just over 100bhp

What spec are you running and am i hitting the right bhp figure for my spec or is every rolling road different. Plus myn hasnt been run in yet????? its only just been rebuilt so will that effect my bhp!!!!!!!

kronk10
12-08-06, 05:54 PM
I still have the steel wheels for them shall i put them back on or not. Or should i put them back on and lower it 60mm all round (40mm at the mo)

mad-driver
12-08-06, 06:10 PM
I'd stick with 40mm lowered, as for the valver brakes going under the steelies, i think you can only worn pads on because of the width, i know mine didn't go on.

Yes your engine will need bedding in, and what 1600 head are you using? As far as i know a 1200/1300 would be better, thats what im using, as it raises compression.

My spec is 1300 head, 285 cam and vernier, 40DHLA carbs, 4-1 manifold and straight through magnex system, should make just over 100 bhp i hope

kronk10
12-08-06, 06:17 PM
I'd stick with 40mm lowered, as for the valver brakes going under the steelies, i think you can only worn pads on because of the width, i know mine didn't go on.

Yes your engine will need bedding in, and what 1600 head are you using? As far as i know a 1200/1300 would be better, thats what im using, as it raises compression.

My spec is 1300 head, 285 cam and vernier, 40DHLA carbs, 4-1 manifold and straight through magnex system, should make just over 100 bhp i hope
Everyone says that but some people say go for the 1.4 mpi. but theres not much in them iam using the gte head thats what the guy at protune told me to get because he has seen better results with those heads. Plus they have bigger valves and flow better:tard:

SuperNova!
12-08-06, 06:20 PM
A sri head would be best suited,

If you have ran your car on the rollers before running it in then your engine is Probably Funked already,

:thumb:

kronk10
12-08-06, 06:28 PM
A sri head would be best suited,

If you have ran your car on the rollers before running it in then your engine is Probably Funked already,

:thumb:

No they ran it to set the carbs up and they did a quick power run i havnt touched the car i leave all that to the proffesionals. They were trying to find out why it was over fuelling on high revs and i need a new bloody fuel pump. And everyone says an sri head would be better but but from what i heard there almost identical and thats what he asked for. and the engine is fine just waiting for the pump

mad-driver
12-08-06, 07:07 PM
The 1400 sri head is almost the same as the GTE/GSI, but going up to a 1600 head on a 1400 block would probably lose you poewr, which is why the 1400 sri one is best, as it still has bigger valves.

Shouldnt the engine be run in before be rolling roaded

kronk10
12-08-06, 07:20 PM
The 1400 sri head is almost the same as the GTE/GSI, but going up to a 1600 head on a 1400 block would probably lose you poewr, which is why the 1400 sri one is best, as it still has bigger valves.

Shouldnt the engine be run in before be rolling roaded

It wouldnt loose power what would be the point in that!! and they only put it on the rollers to tune the carbs up and find some probs etc. I know exactly what your saying but there really is no difference between a 1400 head or 1600 block and they deffo know what they are doing judging by some of the cars i have seen there etc. They do alot of track cars and grass rally racing etc and have done plenty of novas so i have no worries about the performance etc:thumb:iw ill keep ya informed on progress and tell you what power it makes after everthing is done

Adam
12-08-06, 07:25 PM
If the 1600 head has been skimmed to raise compression back up it will be just as good as the 1.4sri head, basically identical apart from compression.
A std 1600 head would loose power over a 1.4Sri head. A skim should see them pretty much the same tho.

What spec is the cam?
I dont know how accurate there RR is, but 93bhp seems slightly down on power imo.

kronk10
12-08-06, 07:38 PM
If the 1600 head has been skimmed to raise compression back up it will be just as good as the 1.4sri head, basically identical apart from compression.
A std 1600 head would loose power over a 1.4Sri head. A skim should see them pretty much the same tho.

What spec is the cam?
I dont know how accurate there RR is, but 93bhp seems slightly down on power imo.

Its been skimmed to raise compression i do know the spec of the cam but i need find the website again. And i thought the rolling road was a bit down but they were only doing a rough one as they were setting up the carbs i hope after it runs in it makes more???? we shall see!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Adam
12-08-06, 07:48 PM
Hopefully it was run in before the RR,Lol.

kronk10
12-08-06, 09:57 PM
Hopefully it was run in before the RR,Lol.

It ****ing best have i was to peed :mad:off to ask him i just asked him how much to get a fuel pump and when i will get it back.

SuperNova!
12-08-06, 10:20 PM
Mate realy now if it has been ran on a RR and the engine made to work which it must have been to produce 93bhp I would realy consider having a good chat with the people who have done it in all probability something would have been damaged, the better it is ran in the better and more powerful the engine will be when finished.

By RR'ing it before it is ran in is crazy even 500 miles :eek: isnt enough running in time before it gets thrashed on the rollers.

womble sri
12-08-06, 10:32 PM
yeah get the CR checked i use an sri head and all rollers differ the guy i bought mine from just stuck a pair of dellortos on a standard sr but had the RR printout of 89.8 which isnt bad di you know if they have just set it up as it is or tried different jets ect also what spec is your cam? strip it out it makes all the diffence trust me . my car made 134 on some supposedly innaccurate rollers but its about a good tune not the highest figure a gearbox will also make it a hell of a lot faster i take it your not going to use it as an everdayer? how much did your engine work cost if you dont mind me asking mine is due a rebuild its off the road now cos i dont want to slow it to pieces!

womble sri
12-08-06, 10:43 PM
TBH i didnt run my cam ect in the manufacturers just say it so if it has been fitted wrongly there is more chance of you noticing rather than feckin the whole thing. well thats what my mechanic told me. he used to build rally cars so think he knows his stuff then again it was just the head and internals didnt bother with any bottom end work as i was just out for a cheap bit of fun probably why it smokes more than i do now! haha

kronk10
12-08-06, 10:55 PM
yeah get the CR checked i use an sri head and all rollers differ the guy i bought mine from just stuck a pair of dellortos on a standard sr but had the RR printout of 89.8 which isnt bad di you know if they have just set it up as it is or tried different jets ect also what spec is your cam? strip it out it makes all the diffence trust me . my car made 134 on some supposedly innaccurate rollers but its about a good tune not the highest figure a gearbox will also make it a hell of a lot faster i take it your not going to use it as an everdayer? how much did your engine work cost if you dont mind me asking mine is due a rebuild its off the road now cos i dont want to slow it to pieces!

I will have a word with them come monday the guys sound very optomistic about how quick its gonna be. I dont think they did a proper rolling road as when they were doing it they were trying to set the webbers up they might have done a rough estimate. Plus it wasnt fueling right near the high revs cus of the fuel pump it (which i should have replaced a year ago:eek:) And it is gonna be an everyday car i told i wanted a car i could use everyday and they sat down with me and made a list of things i wanted etc. anyway knackered and iam off to bed bye

Adam
13-08-06, 12:34 AM
There was plenty of fuel pumps on ebay last time i looked.
But that pump is for a single carb, im not sure how well just the std pump works with T40s.

You should always run the cam etc in, the run in is like 1minute at 2000rpm, 1minute at 3000rpm etc, if you leave it idling with a new cam etc fitted, it can wear it.

womble sri
13-08-06, 12:42 AM
yeah he ran it for a bit but i mean you didnt have to take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles or anything it was just flat out straightaway

SuperNova!
13-08-06, 10:32 AM
Running a cam in isnt as important as say a bottom end rebuild :D

mad-driver
13-08-06, 01:39 PM
But i would be disappointed if a RR team ran a car on their rollers when it wasn't run in, they of all people should know that

novabex
13-08-06, 02:12 PM
White novas are the bestest.

kronk10
13-08-06, 03:35 PM
But i would be disappointed if a RR team ran a car on their rollers when it wasn't run in, they of all people should know that

Yeah iam deffo gonna ring them tommorow i thought it was funny as they told me that i need to run it for abit then i have to go back and get a power run. I dont bloody know anyway i really am missing the car now as i havnt had it for about a month :cry: the real nail in the coffin was on my way back from work yesterday in my dads 1.1 fiesta, a sexy red nova with full cage drove passed me it sounded tuned!!! i thought to myself that will be me in a couple of hours i should have touched wood or somethinglol

kronk10
13-08-06, 03:35 PM
White novas are the bestest.
Thank you but red are sexy to:thumb: oh and black!!!!!!!

kronk10
13-08-06, 03:39 PM
There was plenty of fuel pumps on ebay last time i looked.
But that pump is for a single carb, im not sure how well just the std pump works with T40s.

You should always run the cam etc in, the run in is like 1minute at 2000rpm, 1minute at 3000rpm etc, if you leave it idling with a new cam etc fitted, it can wear it.

Yeah standard pumps are normally fine with t40's i have heard but with a cam etca electronic pump plus regulator works best cus of high revs. But my pump was playing up awhile ago but i didnt get a new one as i new i was getting a rebuild:tard: stupid i know

Lee
13-08-06, 03:53 PM
You only really need a good run in to bed piston rings in. If you havent had new pistons / rings then i wouldnt worry, and to bed a cam in, it needs to be run for 20mins at high revs anyway

mad-driver
13-08-06, 06:53 PM
Yeah standard pumps are normally fine with t40's i have heard but with a cam etca electronic pump plus regulator works best cus of high revs. But my pump was playing up awhile ago but i didnt get a new one as i new i was getting a rebuild:tard: stupid i know

The problem with mechanical fuel pumps is that they work off the cam, and only deliver fuel depending on the engines revs, if you like. Also as they work off a spring, when moving extremely fast they can sometimes bounce etc, just like valves.

I asked a similar question and was told a facet pump would be better, especially at higher revs

kronk10
13-08-06, 07:28 PM
The problem with mechanical fuel pumps is that they work off the cam, and only deliver fuel depending on the engines revs, if you like. Also as they work off a spring, when moving extremely fast they can sometimes bounce etc, just like valves.

I asked a similar question and was told a facet pump would be better, especially at higher revs

yeah thats what they told me, i just cant wait to get the car back as iam bored stiff and i bet the car is really dirty:cry:. I have actually almost forgot how to drive itlol iam so exited!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart
13-08-06, 08:06 PM
no offence but "only" 93 bhp after all that... unless it was at the wheels... than its not too shabby.

id say the head hasnt been skimmed to get the CR back, and that possibly the inlet isnt right for the webbers (but thats mere speculation)

kronk10
13-08-06, 09:08 PM
no offence but "only" 93 bhp after all that... unless it was at the wheels... than its not too shabby.

id say the head hasnt been skimmed to get the CR back, and that possibly the inlet isnt right for the webbers (but thats mere speculation)

Inlet is a irmscher one ported etc dont know if it was at the wheels or not. Iam gonna ring the m tomoz see what they have to say

Stuart
13-08-06, 09:11 PM
inlet is wrong for the head then as most irmscher inlets were for 1.3's only.... so the port shapes are all wrong.

kronk10
13-08-06, 09:16 PM
inlet is wrong for the head then as most irmscher inlets were for 1.3's only.... so the port shapes are all wrong.

Round ports on the inlet 1.6 head fitted has round ports so they all match up

Stuart
13-08-06, 09:24 PM
i stand corrected on that point then :)

kronk10
13-08-06, 09:26 PM
i stand corrected on that point then :)

Its ok matelol are you the guy tuning a 1.2 if so i wonder how thats going thats mad. Anyway iam a bit worried about whats going on with my car i trust these guys mainly because of the cars i have seen them do. If its 93 bhp at the wheels i will be well pleased but i will tell you all on monday!!!;)

kronk10
13-08-06, 09:50 PM
Oh and the head has been skimmed for the right cr/compression