PDA

View Full Version : verner pully...modified??

diablo007
11-08-06, 06:59 PM
need some info on a verner pully....can the standard pully be modified to suit?

Adam
11-08-06, 07:01 PM
Yeah, drill/cut new holes/a slot.

mad-driver
11-08-06, 07:06 PM
Then try and write in very small writing the number of degrees you will be turning it lol

Stanley
11-08-06, 07:11 PM
so do you elongate the holes?

only really for use wih an aftermaket cam yeh?

mad-driver
11-08-06, 07:15 PM
The point of a vernier is so you can easily change the cam timing, ie if you have a high lift cam

John
11-08-06, 07:36 PM
Erm so how do you intend to make your standard pulley adjustable? Have i missed something Lol!

mad-driver
11-08-06, 07:39 PM
I thought they had a woodruff key behind them or something which meant you couldnt turn them?

Adam
11-08-06, 07:42 PM
Erm so how do you intend to make your standard pulley adjustable? Have i missed something Lol! Make a slot that the pin can slide in, voila, adjustable pulley.
Just make sure its all bolted up tight. ;)

John
11-08-06, 07:47 PM
er, yeah, the whole idea of a woodruff key is to locate the pulley into a groove on the cam. Don't think the nova cam has a woodruff key though.

So you make the pulley adjustable by removing/elongating the locating peg? Doesn't sound very safe to me! Think i'd save some money and buy a decent vernier instead of risking cy head damage. the cam pulley bolt should always be torqued up. How is the timing then checked when the homemade pulley is adjusted?

Adam
11-08-06, 07:50 PM
Nova cam just has a locating pin.
If you elongate the hole that the pin sits in on the pull you can adjust the pulley.

I'd say the pulley bolt would hold it no problems, i've had to hammer cam pulleys off before.

John
11-08-06, 07:55 PM
Yeah but aren't the cam pulleys on a chamfer?

Adam
11-08-06, 07:56 PM
Think so yeah, but they should fit on in any position with new location holes/a slot.

John
11-08-06, 07:59 PM
Right so how do you adjust this homemade pulley to maximise the cam performance? And how do you know how many degrees the timing has been adjusted?

Adam
11-08-06, 08:05 PM
Get it on a RR, and adjust it until you get best performance, you could mark the degrees on, maybe,Lol.

John
11-08-06, 08:08 PM
What with? tippex lol!

Adam
11-08-06, 08:16 PM
Too right :) Lol

stuartp
11-08-06, 08:23 PM
as g88kag said i wontn't even think of making one! vernier have two cams in theory one bolted and tourqed to the cam and the other has the belt on all safely bolted to gether with 4 bolts? they cant move a great deal just enougth to advance or retart timing? THIS HELPS PREVENT BENT VALVES OCUIRING!!! (spelling)

stuartp
11-08-06, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't risk it i had hammer mine when the gasket went so imagine how tight it will be without it after all that trashing and dropping it down the gogs?

Adam
11-08-06, 08:31 PM
as g88kag said i wontn't even think of making one! vernier have two cams in theory one bolted and tourqed to the cam and the other has the belt on all safely bolted to gether with 4 bolts? they cant move a great deal just enougth to advance or retart timing? THIS HELPS PREVENT BENT VALVES OCUIRING!!! (spelling)
Until the vernier bolts vibrate loose,fall out, pulley spins around and wrecks your engine :thumb:

If you get a vernier, make sure the bolts are thread locked.

John
11-08-06, 08:32 PM
doesn't sound exactly cheap to me either if you have to pay for a rr sesh!

stuartp
11-08-06, 08:35 PM
If you get a vernier, make sure the bolts are thread locked.[/quote]

lol Argreedlol

Adam
12-08-06, 12:02 AM
You'd need a RR session with a vernier to get it set up too.

Stuart
12-08-06, 07:09 AM
ive got a modded Vernier on my 1.2 engine. ?10 to get a kidney slot put into the locating peg hole, slapped it on with a load of thread lock everywhere then immediately timed the cam up as per catcams requirements for X lift @ tdc...... the marks on the kent/piper pulleys mean naff all tbh as you set the cam up with X lift at tdc, or max lift @ X crank angle so there is no need for pulley marks lol.

John
12-08-06, 08:50 AM
Hmm, still think i'd save some money and buy a decent second hand vernier though.

Stuart
12-08-06, 09:39 AM
imho i wouldnt buy a 2nd hand one..... esp going on dans experience.

he ran his for nearly 10 years and as the outter ege is ally it wore away and wouldnt let the belt sit in the middle of the pulley.....

John
12-08-06, 09:44 AM
Ok, i wouldn't buy one off dan then!! Surely second hand pulleys can be visually checked for this sort of wear before purchase? But you're probably right stuart, a new pulley would be the best way to go. Still cheaper than expensive re-build due to homemade pulley failure imo Lol!

mad-driver
12-08-06, 11:30 AM
Depends if you buy it off ebay lol, and as mentioned RR sessions being expensive, i'm about to find out lol