PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y panel/bumper spraying

db_1.2
11-08-06, 05:54 PM
I have a few panels and bumpers that need to be sprayed on my nova (glacier white), ive done a few bits before but wasnt very pleased with the results, as i didnt spend much time laqouring them so this time what would be ideal is some sort of guide, i did search google but that seems to be hopeless this time giving me random results, so any tips would be appreciated and pics would be even more helpful!:thumb:

Also i got 2 gsi back bumpers and was thinking about smoothing out the lines but didnt know which one would look better or both?

So if anyone could give me a good idea of what to do i will get and do this or start it this weekend:thumb:

Thank you for viewing:p

db_1.2
11-08-06, 05:56 PM
By the way the panels are in silk violet if thats any use, means i have to sand down a little more??? I duno?!:confused:lol

studaman21
11-08-06, 06:12 PM
did you tack between coats
what type of laquer did you use
did you primer first
if youre doing bumpers i would sugest an adhesionaid before you primer so it bites well

rednova
11-08-06, 06:12 PM
first off - you wont need laquer with glacier white - it'll be direct gloss, if the paint you are covering is in good condition just use some scotchbrite pad and give it a key - clean with some thinners or turps wipe dry with clean kitchen roll, you can go straight on with your white but id put a coat of primer on first, the repeat the first stage before your white coat personally id leave the lines in the bumpers as it just creates more hassle, prep the bumpers the same as the wings etc, try not to use halfords paint - colour match is ****e go to any good motorfactors, you can also buy gun handles for cans which makes it easier.

when painting do a light dust coat then go on wet with the paint - remember its easier to flat out a run than to buff up a dry paint finish:thumb:

hth

Phil

db_1.2
11-08-06, 06:21 PM
Cheers phil that was what i was thinking pretty much along those lines but what gloss am i looking for really, the halfords glacier white is good enough as i used it before, so all i need to know is what gloss to get really, its more the finish im going for really, im ok with the rest

Thanks again phil:thumb:

Adam
11-08-06, 07:06 PM
Check out Ade's How To guide on spraying a bumper!

db_1.2
11-08-06, 07:15 PM
Yeh i did but tbh im not very good with reading really, plus im only really looking in what to do and what to use afte applying paint etc e.g. gloss or laqour, what type?

Ades guide is good like all the others only im looking for something a little more specific thats all, plus i thought it had pics last time i looked?!

Still, ades a legend for his guides and cant wait to see his headlight conversion finished

rednova
11-08-06, 09:35 PM
direct gloss means you dont need laquer on top of the colour like metallics, DG should polish up nice and shiney after the colour - just get a nice even wet coat - bear in mind aerosol is much thinner than normal car paint so take it easy, you could apply 3/4 coats of glacier white, leave to dry a few days then use some fine 2000 grit wet n dry paper and not applying pressure go over the bumper (wet) dry off then polish up with a good polish and lots of elbow grease.

the rwason with halfords was i bought 4 glacier white cans and only one of them was right - the others were "green" looks peppermint against the original paint - doh

hth

ade
11-08-06, 10:28 PM
you need to prep the panels properly. Also you should really spray the panel and surrounding area to get an exact match.

TBH if youre unable to read the guide on bumpers (skip to the later stages) then I'd recommend taking panels to a body shop.

heres a v basic guide however -

Panels -
Silk violet panel needs priming before spraying white so the violet co,our doesnt affect the shade of white. White paint is slightly opaque so is affected by darker colours beneath.
1 Sand with 400 - 600 wet n dry to key surface 1st.
2 degrease panel
3 prime it using white primer - 3 coats - allow a few mins between coats (tack) before repeating
4 once dry (at least 24 hours) - spray from a distance with a dusting of black (called a speckle coat)
5 sand back using 800 wet and dry until all the black is gone (the idea being that if there are any dents or scuffs the black will fall into them so when you sand you'll miss it) - these should be filled and the process repeated. Make sure you use a sanding block when doing this.
6 you will now have a very smooth surface
7 degrease and also use a tack cloth to remove dust (you should use an open area or a spray booth for this bit)
8 spray panel with desired top coat (glacier white paint) - 3 -5 coats depending on paint used - allow to tack dry between coats
9 leave for about 5 days to fully cure (unless you have infra red heat lamps).
10 depending on how the paint went on you should use 1000 - 1500 wet n dry (wet) to gently smooth the top coat. This will flat the paint back and remove any nibs or dust specks
11 you can now either lacquer it (not really any need but will protect panel and make it all glossy) - or use a cutting paste (G3 I think). You could also try a combination of Tcut and Super resin polish. Apply and rub in a circular motion with a buffing cloth - if using a buffing wheel go carefully. Dont use a drill attachment as you have no real control and will melt the paint.
12 panel should be okay

The bumper is as above but you'll need to smooth any bobbles or use layers of high build primer - problem is the more you apply the more chance you have of it cracking...