PDA

View Full Version : Strange Sounds

Anonymous
19-02-01, 12:44 PM
Hello Peeps. I 've had a knocking noise coming from the rear of my car for some time now and it's driving me up the wall. The noise occurs when I drive over even the smallest of bumps. Theres no noise on flat straight roads, just when I go over any sort of bump at any sort of speed. At first I thought it was my standard shocks so I had them replaced with some -30mm G-Max shocks and springs. I thought this would solve the problem, but no. I then thought it was the exhaust knocking against the springs. I had the exhaust moved, but again, that wasn't the problem. I've had the suspension checked by two different mechanics and they can't seem to pin point what the problem is. Please help me, I'm going mental with this knocking noise. I find myself driving with the heating on full whack just to drown out some of the noise (I have no Stereo in my car at the minute, before you ask). Also, I thought it might have been because the new suspension is stiffer and so the ride is harder and louder, but I've asked a mate who has -60mm shocks and springs all round, and he said he doesn't have any sort of knocking noise when driving along.
Please help me if you can.
Cheers, Jim

Anonymous
19-02-01, 01:11 PM
Jim just a few things I can think of to check, tailgate catch & hinges, wheels catching arches?, loose spare wheel or brace/jack, worn rear beam bushes, loose shocker top mounts, knocking exhaust(grab the tailpipe and rag it about), loose wiper motor, loose petrol tank or filler, loose rear bumper, There's not much else back there it can be :).

Plese don't let busses pull out.

Anonymous
19-02-01, 01:22 PM
Wiper relay loose in 1/4 panel

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am Sat - 11pm Sun ---

Anonymous
19-02-01, 01:42 PM
I had a dodgy knocking noise once, some litle bastaed tried having me wheels, 3 of the wheel nuts were loose on one wheel. X-(

Lucky I had locking wheel nuts.

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com :p

Anonymous
19-02-01, 01:42 PM
I had a dodgy knocking noise once, some litle bastaed tried having me wheels, 3 of the wheel nuts were loose on one wheel. X-(

Lucky I had locking wheel nuts.

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com :p

Anonymous
19-02-01, 01:49 PM
Could it be all that paint coming off the back bumper ?? Sorry mate, couldn't resist !!

will someone buy my car :)
lee@novaload.net

Anonymous
19-02-01, 02:40 PM
Check that the rubber bushes between strut and inner arches are right. I just found that my mate who helped me when fittin mine left out the lower one. It feels solid, but rattles and knocks like f*ck on bumps. They should sandwich the inner arch. Only a couple of quid for newens!

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
19-02-01, 02:55 PM
Kidnap a small child and tie them up in the boot, only set them free once they have located the noise. Or you could just ask a mate to sit in the boot and listen while you drive down the road.:D

Anonymous
19-02-01, 03:21 PM
I'd say from the sound of it Slim already has kidnapped some kid and has just forgotten where he hid them in the car!!!!! :)

Anonymous
19-02-01, 03:57 PM
I may be wrong but could it not be a wheel bearing ??????????

Ease Yourself Back Into Conciousness !!!!!
:D

Anonymous
19-02-01, 04:06 PM
Could be but they usually tend to rumble like a 10 pin bowling ball.:)

Anonymous
19-02-01, 07:47 PM
ive got the fuckin noise aswell but i use the stereo instead of the heater to drown it out. It might be the rear of the chassis tath is snapped like mine

Anonymous
20-02-01, 01:09 AM
I've kept getting a funny vibrating, thumping kind of noise from the rear, but I realised it's just my back bumper rubbing of on the exhaust! The side bracket has separated from the plastic, so the bumpers dropped. Check that along with the other bits as above.

Anonymous
20-02-01, 08:58 AM
Right...I'll check all those things out, cheers guys.

Anonymous
21-02-01, 06:32 PM
wheel bearing same on mine :(