PDA

View Full Version : v6 brakes

graham kirkbride
08-08-06, 10:14 AM
hi all!!!! Has anyone bought some v6 brakes from lmf as im after a set and want to no if there any good????

ps im going for the grooved disc and standard pad combination if that helps..

loggyboy
08-08-06, 10:56 AM
I just bolted on calipers from a v6/turbo, got the disc redrilled for 4 stud and on they went - they feel great and im very pleased.

Stuart
08-08-06, 11:00 AM
just be warned, you "may" have a long pedal travel before the brakes actually work fully... yes i know some dont ahve that issue but theyve probalby adjusted the brake lever jsut behind the pedal ;)

Ben
08-08-06, 11:04 AM
IMO V6 Brakes are too heavy for the front on a Nova, but each to there own.

Martin
08-08-06, 12:33 PM
i'd just get a set of 256mm astra stoppers just as good..

Mike
08-08-06, 12:35 PM
Baxters got them on his, and he managed to lock up in a car park at about 5mph!! Id say there overkill tbh not baxters like, just in general overkill, unless youve got a 300bhp turbod block lol

Stuart
08-08-06, 02:54 PM
the power of the engine dosent dictate the stopping requirements.. (well not as such). its the weight of vehicle and duty cycle that is the key factor....

graham kirkbride
08-08-06, 05:47 PM
thanks lads!!! i think i will get some off a vectra v6 and get the discs re drilled, ive got the bigger servo on off gsi so i think v6 brakes will be o.k

Adam
08-08-06, 06:05 PM
Get some 284s off a calibra turbo, smaller piston calipers, so less pedal movement required.

IMO tho, 256 are fine on any nova, if they stop a Mk3 astra GSi, a nova is no trouble.

Stuart
08-08-06, 06:06 PM
the servo will do sweet FA for pedal issues.... the servo is only there to save your ankles lol

John
08-08-06, 06:17 PM
Get some 284s off a calibra turbo, smaller piston calipers, so less pedal movement required.

IMO tho, 256 are fine on any nova, if they stop a Mk3 astra GSi, a nova is no trouble.

Completly different set up on a mk3 astra though long live,eg master cyl actuated directly by pedal and rear discs too, so can't be compared imo.

Adam
08-08-06, 06:21 PM
Rear discs do naff all.
Cant see a massive difference with them not having a brake bar thing tbh.

Still same discs/calipers at the end of the day.

John
08-08-06, 06:25 PM
Rear discs do naff all.
Cant see a massive difference with them not having a brake bar thing tbh.

Still same discs/calipers at the end of the day.

Really?!:eek: why did vauxhall bother to fit them then????? To lots of models in the range????

What is a brake bar thing fitted to a mk 3 astra gsi?

Yes exactly the same discs and calipers but on a competely diferent car!!
256 on a nov cannot be compared to 256s on a mk3 astra gsi IMO.

Adam
08-08-06, 06:27 PM
Because rear discs look cool, and look better on the Spec sheet ;)

The bar that runs behind the dash on a nova to the brake servo, can't see that having much effect on brake performance,tbh.

John
08-08-06, 06:34 PM
Because rear discs look cool, and look better on the Spec sheet ;)

The bar that runs behind the dash on a nova to the brake servo, can't see that having much effect on brake performance,tbh.

Hmmm, don't think vauxhall decided to fit discs to the rear just because they looked "cool" . Can just imagine what they said in the board meeting at vauxhall;

"we've decided to fit rear discs to the mk 3 astra, erm because they do naff all and they'll look cool'"
Have you ever driven another car with directly acuated brakes?

John
08-08-06, 06:43 PM
Sorry graham, we're straying off the subject a bit here,
i have v6 brakes from lmf and they're fine, although i have to admit the pedal travel is a bit long.
The braking surface area is huge though, and will probably be helped with the grooved set up.

Well serviced and adjusted brakes, with good/renewed fluid should be fine IMO.

Adam
08-08-06, 06:44 PM
Yes, i owned a mk3 astra :p

LOL at the board meeting. lol

But as said, on topic, LMF kits seem good.

John
08-08-06, 06:48 PM
Yes, i owned a mk3 astra :p

LOL at the board meeting. lol

But as said, on topic, LMF kits seem good.

You should be able to tell the difference then. my corsa van with cd size discs has a better "feel" pedal than my nova.

Adam
08-08-06, 07:14 PM
Cant really remember, it was a while ago i had the car, think they were slightly better than the same brakes on a nova tho, they were 236 solids on the astra,Lol.
But the nova discs/pads were worn, so it wasn't really a fair test.

Timmy
08-08-06, 10:38 PM
nova brakes are pooh!! are GSI/GTe nova brake as bad and base models?
i'v got Astra GSi brakes work a treat never had issues stopping
Rear disks on lagre cars make a differnce not on novas, plus drums on nova will lock before the stanerd fronts

Adam
08-08-06, 11:27 PM
I found the standard brakes on my 1200 to work fine, they were the later style ATE calipers, but that stopped the car fine, and that was with knackered discs/pads.

Stuart
09-08-06, 07:53 AM
^^^ ditto, i "upgareded" my 1.2 delco calipers to the 1.2i ones and it was a 100% improvement.

lots of the track people are going back to drum braked rear beams as the discs are too snappy to be of any real use lol

loggyboy
09-08-06, 12:45 PM
its true, rear discs do do very little extra, the simple fact is the rear end does about 10% of the braking, any more than that as you risk locking the rears, which you dont want. the reason why they fitted rear discs is due to the fact modern cars have abs so the locking problem isnt an issue, so unless you plan on an ABS upgrade when you add rear disks your gonna need to add a bias adjuster, which negates any performance increase.

The reason for upgrading mine to the v6/turbos was mainly down to the use - im very hard on brakes, i find that even driving home from work, a 20 minute blat down the lanes ment the lil standard setup where fading and casuing me no ends of long pedal problems - ive moved to the larger ones to allow for the extensive use, not the added braking power.

graham kirkbride
09-08-06, 12:54 PM
thats what i want to upgrade to v6/turbo brakes so they dont fade to quick on track days

loggyboy
09-08-06, 01:04 PM
get sum drilled (not grooved) discs as well then ;)

Stuart
09-08-06, 01:09 PM
but get PROPER drilled (or rather cast holed) discs otherwise your going to get cracks forming all the time lol

graham kirkbride
09-08-06, 07:23 PM
ive managed to get some calibra turbo calipers at the right price i.e ?40 for the pair, an thanks to you all for your advice