PDA

View Full Version : My new nova!

matt1chelski
07-08-06, 09:01 PM
Ok people, as some of you might have read, i been looking for a nice nova for my first car. Last thursday went and had a look at a 1.3sr. After spending a while looking it over, and filcking through the history, we agreed on 500quid. Just picked it up today, great little car, suprised at how quiet it was sittin at 80mph. Needs a little tidying, but notheing too bad. One question, how do i get rid of that ****ty vinyl on the boot lid with 1.3 sr on it?:wtf:

Cheers
matt >>>>>>>>Pics>>>>>>>>>

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/matt1chelski/Nova/Image074.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/matt1chelski/Nova/Image072.jpg

Philsutton
07-08-06, 09:08 PM
dont get rid of the vinyl on the boot, it must be left the same, or if you must it would be much easier to swap tail gates.

macc nova
07-08-06, 09:11 PM
yeh dont bother, get another tailgate, removin the side ones is the biggest pain in the ****, then you've gotta scrub of the gluelol

ade
07-08-06, 09:23 PM
dont take the vynal off the tailgate - its as rare as chickens teeth!

A lot of nova owners are regretting removing it - you cant buy it from new from vauxhall any more (if you could it would be in excess of ?50!)

The side vynal is easier - gently heat it with a heat gun and peel away. to reveal all the doodgy rust underneath...

Mr_C
07-08-06, 10:08 PM
leave it on mate, looks a sound motor.

draper
07-08-06, 10:15 PM
reminds me of my first nova, personally i prefer the boot vynal off and by the sounds of it people might be prepared to pay a few ??

SRlew
07-08-06, 10:16 PM
mate i only read the first line of your thread and wasnt happy. dont bother taking it off!! actually sell me your tailgate as it is!!!!

matt1chelski
07-08-06, 11:08 PM
LOL, ok, maybe itll grow on me, if not take it off, any ideas how to fill the small gap along the top of it? Looks a bit untidy. One more question, 5th gear is quite trick to get in, is there a knack to it? It goes in, but is taking a few goes sometimes. Maybe i just need to get used to it.

cheers
matt

Dave.
08-08-06, 12:20 AM
looking nice mate
leeve the vynal on. looks better

Ash
08-08-06, 12:57 AM
5th gear is quite trick to get in, is there a knack to it? It goes in, but is taking a few goes sometimes. Maybe i just need to get used to it.

cheers
matt

yea, mines just the same - had it on both my gearbox's. i think its just linkage setup.

A

cheshiresport
08-08-06, 08:51 AM
I agree defo leave the vinyl on

SRlew
08-08-06, 11:02 AM
seriously mate i'll buy the tail gate off you if you wanna get rid of the vynallater on in its life.

but lol on the 5th gear lark! mine is the same, when im with my brother in the car i just get him to put it in to 5th for me as he can get the right angle for it from the passenger seat and put some force into it lol

i still never got the nack of it, it was kinda like go up into 5th (but it wont go in) the straight down below 5th then push straight up into 5th if you know what i mean. by the time i used to get it in 5th i needed it in 4th again lol

Ste L
08-08-06, 12:14 PM
if you cant get 5th properly, the gears need adjusting ;)

Matt2107
08-08-06, 12:26 PM
When I picked up my GTE my gf was driving it back as she was insured and I wasnt.

She pulled over on the A34 and said it wont go into 5th.
I jumped in drove it the rest of the way... no problems at all.

She's used to a nice smooth gear box...I hate gear boxes you cant feel as well.

Jack
08-08-06, 12:57 PM
Try driving mine. Then you'll know what a clonky gearbox really feels like!

matt1chelski
08-08-06, 01:25 PM
When I picked up my GTE my gf was driving it back as she was insured and I wasnt.

She pulled over on the A34 and said it wont go into 5th.
I jumped in drove it the rest of the way... no problems at all.

She's used to a nice smooth gear box...I hate gear boxes you cant feel as well.

Iv not passed my test yet, (nor have i got insurence yet) and my dad drove it back. Only thing is, he love the car, and wants it off me now lol. lol Iv let him use it for a few days till i sort insurence.

Matt2107
08-08-06, 02:44 PM
I wouldnt normally have driven it without the big I but she insisted she wasn't gonna drive it any further...... Women!

draper
08-08-06, 07:36 PM
Try driving mine. Then you'll know what a clonky gearbox really feels like!

bloody jap craplol

Nath
08-08-06, 07:39 PM
same as our mazda. u know when the cars cold with it being rwd as it doesnt like to go from first to second

matt1chelski
08-08-06, 10:46 PM
Ok, iv warmed to the rear strip a bit now, but the front badge is coming off the bonnet. Whats the best way to get it off?

Mat

Adam
08-08-06, 11:21 PM
Its just a sticker.
Just heat it up and peel it off, i'd fit another tho, i like the mk1 bonnet stickers.

jamin
09-08-06, 12:11 AM
what you need to do is leave it standard. They are rare as rocking horse **** now. if you want to ruin it and customise it why dont you buy one thats already been butchered and do yet more damage.

As you can tell I like standard novas and yours looks the tits. Exactly as it should do. Hats off to you if you manage to resist and leave it standard!

Get some tyre treatment, to make them black. Bumper gel to bring back there glory too. Serious elbow grease with some cutting polish to bring back the gleaming white and you would be suprised just how good it will look.

Please dont ruin a great car!

jamin
09-08-06, 12:13 AM
Oh and leave the standard hubcaps (they will be worth a fortune soon) but see if you can get the graphite grey ones. That will look sweet once its spotless

matt1chelski
09-08-06, 09:53 AM
I might be 17, but im not planning on ruining it, no kingdom fron bumper or anything like that for me. My small plans for the car are to sort the arch, and put some gte wheels on and lower it slighly. (all of which is reversable) if anyone wanted to. Now i dont honestly think any of that is ruining it.

Matt

EuroPaul
09-08-06, 06:26 PM
looks like a really tidy motor mate.... leave the vinyl on but take the pin stripes off the side, replace the red bumper/side trim stripes with white ones and put some white indicators on the front. then clay and polish the whole car! it will look well smart then :)

jamin
09-08-06, 09:38 PM
Good to hear Matt. What im saying is its nice to see a standard one. Cant tell you the last time I saw a standard one on the road.

As long as its reversable its all good imo. Remember anything ive said is only my opinion after all!

Look what I drive, far from standard so im not one to talk.

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62388

Jamin

LEWI007
09-11-06, 11:37 AM
i dobt like the look of that black thing either but from what people are saying i think you should get a new boot and put that one away somewhere

greg1.4
09-11-06, 12:59 PM
i think thats minted the way it is now. please keep it like that. Reminds me of my brothers very first sr, it was in yellow though. So cool! If it was my car i would put the 3 spoke sr wheels or speedline allesios and deck it and leave everything else the same. Possibly a nice wee janspeed back box or something.

nathannova
09-11-06, 05:25 PM
with the gear thing you are lucky that it is 5th my nova has trouble finding 2nd!
really need to get it sorted as it is really hard to drive when it takes ages to find the most used gear!ha