PDA

View Full Version : head studs

chimp007_uk
06-08-06, 06:51 PM
hi all,

just getting some bits for fitting my blydenstein head, is vauxhall the only place i can get a set of studs from?

also, could someone put up a list of bits i will need to fit the head please. don't want to forget something when i get round to doing it.

cheers

Stuart
06-08-06, 06:56 PM
you can get new bolts from more or less any decent autofactor.

to fit the head

Oil, coolant, gasket set, head bolts, sillycone hmmmmmm thats probably it

Adam
06-08-06, 07:35 PM
And a torque wrench if you dont have one.

chimp007_uk
06-08-06, 11:44 PM
aren't the inlet and exhaust manifolds held on with studs and nuts? i knw my exhaust is...

i'm guessing i'm going to need a timing belt as well ;)

got a torque wrench, just need to get hold of a timing light :(

Adam
06-08-06, 11:47 PM
Can re-use timing belt if its not old.
But you've got to remove it anyway, so might as well renew it.
Just reuse the studs/nuts off the old head.

chimp007_uk
07-08-06, 07:06 AM
doesn't look to be an option... they're rusted to f**k. and i'm fitting a brand new head, so what to keep everything the same. i don't want to re-use the cambelt.

Adam
07-08-06, 05:44 PM
You could just use some SS M8x30mm bolts to hold the manifolds on.
Thats what i use, just put some copper grease on the threads and hope they dont shear off if you need remove the manifolds.
Its usually just the exhaust manifold bolts that cause problems with snapping off etc.

chimp007_uk
07-08-06, 07:37 PM
i'm working at an engineering company at the mo, with a large supply of noths and bolts :) will prob look for studs, dont really want to put steel bolts in a ally head!?! or is it ally bolts in an ally head?!? i get confused.

anyone know what size the rocker cover bolts are?

Stuart
07-08-06, 09:44 PM
M6 * 30-40mm ish

steel bolts in an ally head can cause probs but there isnt much that can be done

chimp007_uk
07-08-06, 11:24 PM
well, just bought some head bolts so they should be ok. will borrow some bolts for the rocker cover from work ;)

i don't want to sound rude stu, but if you are too bust towards the end of the month, would you be able to help me with the head?

Adam
07-08-06, 11:45 PM
steel bolts in an ally head can cause probs but there isnt much that can be done
Whys that?
I've just bought some stainless steel bolts for my manifolds.

chimp007_uk
08-08-06, 07:04 AM
i think it's something to do with the metals reacting together... thats why you should't use ally wheel bolts with steel wheels and steel bolts with ally wheels

Stuart
08-08-06, 08:15 AM
most alloy wheels have an instert in them that allows the use of steel bolts without the rist of the metals reacting and effectively corriding together

Adam
08-08-06, 06:19 PM
Ooo right.
Never heard that before.

John
08-08-06, 06:37 PM
most alloy wheels have an instert in them that allows the use of steel bolts without the rist of the metals reacting and effectively corriding together

Can you imagine some of the larger tyre fitting companies whacking up wheel bolts with their inch air guns on alloy seats??? Ouch!

chimp007_uk
09-08-06, 06:11 PM
i've had it happen to me in my 306, couldn't get the locking nut off... had to have them removed and buy a new set.

as for parts need to change the head, is replacing the hydraulic lifters a good idea? anythingelse people can suggest getting to give the top end a complete overhaul?

cheers

mikey14sr
09-08-06, 07:32 PM
stripping down and cleaning the lifters is a good idea, all explained in the haynes.

Adam
09-08-06, 08:04 PM
Ye, definently take the lifters apart and clean them, make my 1200 completely silent, even from cold.
It sounded like a bag of nails before.

chimp007_uk
09-08-06, 10:27 PM
have found a brand new set on ebay for ?25 posted. seems reasonable... only prob is with cleaning them, is that i'm going to taking one head off and putting a new head on in the same day, don't know wther i'll have time.