Can it be done? Without me ending up in A&E or anything lol

Anyone fancy writing me a guide? :)
:thumb:

SRlew
06-08-06, 04:47 PM
i got told how to do it but carnt remember it properly. so im no help lol

Adam
06-08-06, 04:52 PM
Lol, i was looking at hiring a crane, but its ?30odd for a weekend and a ?80 deposit.
Plus it would have to be done within two days then and i've have to have the new engine in and running to take the crane back,Lol.

SRlew
06-08-06, 05:02 PM
ah right lol, i think somone said. line the engine up infront of the car on a jack or 2. then get the front of the car up high enough and some how move the car forward over the engine, lower the car and jack up the engine.

but i aint sure how you'd get the car up high and be able to move it....?

Adam
06-08-06, 05:11 PM
Ye, something like that.
Get it full height on axle stands, get engine under the bay, lower the shell down and jack the engine up.
Think thats pretty much it, in theory lol

SRlew
06-08-06, 05:14 PM
yer that the one. somone said they put there stands on bricks or somthing aswell to get it nice and high, good luck with it mate, dont think id have the guts to try it that way lol

Adam
06-08-06, 05:18 PM
Lol, i'll probably end up hiring/buying a crane.

lehane
06-08-06, 07:18 PM
it can be done, as long as the handbrakes off on the car and a person each side of the car controlin the jacks, it is mobile with or without engine in the car! (we done it to a customers car before, he had had work done with us, left it in our bay, and left without notice! locking his car and taken his keys!) was taken up neddid space.. :D

lehane
06-08-06, 07:20 PM
just get a nother two people to gide the engine under to!:)

SRlew
06-08-06, 07:21 PM
Lol, i'll probably end up hiring/buying a crane.

lol yer i would have baught one if i had the money, and i found it well easy with one.

ANDYRACER
06-08-06, 07:25 PM
When me and ste fitted my 1.6 lump we put a trolley jack under the sump of the engine, undid the engine mounts then dropped the engine down so it was resting on the trolley jack. we then got two more jacks and jacked the car up evenly on both sills, then slid axle stands underneath the sills to support the car, then removed the 2x jacks from each sill. We then got a couple of steelies with wood on top (to make a flat surface) and put the jacks on top of the steelies and then jacked the car up higher, then when we were high enough we put the axle stands higher up to support the car. We then slide the engine from underneath the car. The refitting the engine is the reverse of what i wrote above. :thumb:

Adam
06-08-06, 07:36 PM
Lol, classic haynes style.

Think i might just get crane, can't be pi**ed with this jacking the car 6ft in the air malarkey,Lol.

SRlew
06-08-06, 07:37 PM
lol get a crane you know it makes sence!

draper
06-08-06, 10:54 PM
ill be geting a crane, but ive got 1 of the lads to go halves with me as he wants to swap his astra engines

ANDYRACER
07-08-06, 03:47 PM
Lol, classic haynes style.

Think i might just get crane, can't be pi**ed with this jacking the car 6ft in the air malarkey,Lol.

wimp lol

SuperNova!
07-08-06, 03:53 PM
I am sure someone on here and near you would have one to lend you?

When I swapped mine I used a chain pully which attached to a gurder running across the roof of the garage, so one of those will do if you can get one, or go and see a garage offer them 20 quid or something to lend one from them for a few days?

:thumb:

Adam
07-08-06, 05:41 PM
I've got a chain block & tackle, but no garage, Lol.

I've put wanted ad up to lend a crane for a few days, but no one has one/is willing to lend me one. lol

stuartp
07-08-06, 07:06 PM
Make your own A frame over your engine bay with two ladders then hook the block and tackle on. J.D. trust it works!!

Adam
07-08-06, 07:15 PM
Ye i was thinking of doing that, only have one ladder tho,Lol.

I may have found someone local with a crane tho :)

General Baxter
07-08-06, 07:35 PM
what have i said, come and get it, have it for aslong as you want, aslong as you dont break it, or ill break your legs

+ your 1.2 dont use any fuel so wont cost much to get to me lol

Adam
07-08-06, 07:47 PM
Bring it to me for 20notes.

I've got a local lad now delivering me one in his van :p

mowgli
07-08-06, 08:42 PM
you load of wimps..........I have done it times.
It works best if you think how do GM actually make them in the first place, and then reverse it. if you remove the front wheels and get the car as low as possible, and then undo & lower the complete engine gbox & front suspension as one unit onto the floor. Remove the front bumper & put two sturdy bars into the holes where the bumper mounts, & you can then lift the whole shell over the engine & move it about like a big wheelbarrow.... These days I actually use a jcb mini-digger as a crane, but my brother does own several of them.

Lee H
08-08-06, 11:57 AM
Done it with and without engine crane but even with it I have to get the car really high as I always put the engine in from underneath so makes no odds really. If not using crane I remove brakes etc and lower the car down over the engine so the front is nearly touching the floor and then the engine is already pretty much level with the mounts and can be bolted in.

loggyboy
08-08-06, 12:28 PM
what you need is a scafold pole neatly tucked through your wall suported by the rafters and joist and an electric winch ;)
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/14Winch640.jpg
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/15XEout640.jpg

Matt2107
08-08-06, 12:38 PM
what you need is a scafold pole neatly tucked through your wall suported by the rafters and joist and an electric winch ;)
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/14Winch640.jpg
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/15XEout640.jpg

Now that is bloody clever thinking.

Adam
08-08-06, 06:12 PM
Nice idea Loggyboy, no effort required then,Lol.

Im putting the engine in through the top with a crane, shouldn't have to remove tiebars etc then.

ANDYRACER
08-08-06, 06:13 PM
I never removed my tiebars when i fitted my 1.6 lump.

Adam
08-08-06, 06:20 PM
Engine with gearbox wouldn't fit through the bottom tho.... with tie bars still on.