PDA

View Full Version : can i convert my window wiper to single with the orignal which is on the car????

gsinovaboi
05-08-06, 01:46 PM
i wanna convert ma 1.6 gsi to single wiper conversion is it pissoble to do without buying the proper kit???????:D
thanks ppl!

Lee
05-08-06, 01:48 PM
Ignore that anal retentive!

You will need a new linkage assembly to get a single wiper to do a complete sweep, and also a longer arm and blade. HTH

Mike.
05-08-06, 01:49 PM
i wanna convert ma 1.6 gsi to single wiper conversion is it pissoble to do without buying the proper kit???????:D
thanks ppl!

just go to a scrappy mate, find a old citroen i'e a AX or even a fiat uno and take the linkages then you can adapt them to fit your nova

Adam
05-08-06, 03:15 PM
I'd go with the above, but that will need riveting into place as the motor sits under the scuttle.

No points spending ?60+ on a proper single wiper kit, it doesn't fit well(rubs plastic cover in the scuttle)

You can make one from your original linkage, if you can weld.

Ste L
05-08-06, 05:42 PM
Home made singlewiper linkage made from orignal linkage

What you will need
13mm open ended spanner
A pair of waterpump pliers or a 20mm+ long reach socket or an adjustable spanner
Hacksaw
Welding materials
Files
Pliers needle-nose and standard
19" wiper blade

Optional:
A vice
A touch up pen
An early 306 rear wiper arm (smooooth!)
(Part Number 6429.Q5)

Removing the wiper
Firstly you will need to remove the wiper assembly
1. Firstly disconnect the linkage from the motor. Look behind the wiper motor (right hand side on the engine bay) and you can see/ feel a nut holding the linkage in place. Use you 13mm spanner and remove this nut. Once removed the linkage may not immediately come off just leaver it away from the motor spindle using a flat-headed screwdriver.

2. Now remove the wiper arms. At the bottom of the wiperarm is a plastic cover, unclip the cover upwards and undo the 13mm nut and remove the arm (you may need to wiggle left and right, to get it off)

3. You will need to remove the bezel sections. You will need to undo the plastic nut, you will need a large long reach socket or a pair of waterpump pliers or an adjustable spanner Once removed the bezel section will drop behind the scuttle panel ( the bit with the holes)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/singlewiper/1.jpg

4. Now withdraw the linkages from the right hand side (from the front) of the engine bay away from the battery

5. You will have 2 Grey silver arm sections, gold "L" shaped bezel section and a gold "T" shaped bezel section and a ~ shaped section (where it attaches to the motor)

6.You will need to separate the 2 silver arms from the T section I used a pair of needle nose pliers as a mini ball joint splitter. You will be left with two sliver sections with a bezel end and a motor connection end.

7. You will need to shorten the upright section of the T piece by approximately 10mm buy cutting and welding (if you want an easier job with no filing but less coverage remove 8mm). First mark the linkage (so you know where cut) and cut the linkage with the hacksaw (easier if you use a vice)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/singlewiper/2.jpg

8. Now clean up the join and weld the linkage back together. If you haven't got any welding equipment try a garage, shouldn't cost you much

9. You will need to file the corner off the "T" to reduce the clearance needed by the t piece to avoid it hitting the firewall

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Ste_SRi/singlewiper/3.jpg

10. Once that has been done reattach the motor linkage section to the T- piece (you wont need the "l" piece and bar) you will probably need a pair of pliers to reattach the ball into the socket.

11. Reattach the linkage back on the car as before without the wiper.

12. Now turn the wiper on at the lowest setting and check that the t-piece doesn't hit the firewall (it should be minimal, if at all because off filing off sections from the t-piece) if it does use the touch up pen and paint the filed section and turn it on as it hits the firewall you can see where because of the paint left behind :-)

13. You will need to tap the firewall with a hammer to create a recess for the wiper.

14. Once the wiper works with no catching, reassemble using the 19" blade.

15. The hole left in the passenger side can be blocked off using a blanking grommet

16. A touring car wiper for a hell of a lot less than ?100 for a professional one. Shouldn't cost more than ?10 or so if you use the nova wiper arm.

Lee
05-08-06, 08:31 PM
ooh check you out lol

Nice guide that fella!

Mike
05-08-06, 08:41 PM
ooh check you out lol

Nice guide that fella!

Nice guide?? its of Colin Smiths nova rally site ;) aswell as all his other guides!

Adam
05-08-06, 08:47 PM
Probably would be good to sticky it in the Styling forum ;)

shy witness
06-08-06, 09:54 AM
i tried this once myself about 6 years ago

and just couldnt get it right.after cutting.and welding.....and tryin it at several lengths.it did my head right in

i thought i had it sussed........but then with every stroke of the wiper.......teh fire wall panel woz twisting a we bit.............and making a thudding sound also

maybe with this guide ..it might be easier......but from my experience.....it woznt as handy as you would think

Ste L
06-08-06, 11:40 PM
Nice guide?? its of Colin Smiths nova rally site ;) aswell as all his other guides!

its not ;)

i got it form another site, year's and years ago.. was in a word doc, so just took the pics off, and stuck it up here...

i think it was off novaweb.co.uk or another cant remember now

Rexy
07-08-06, 09:05 AM
Do what ste said, I did it on sunday. Its really easy and works really well.

I get a full sweep of the windscreen. looks ace to.

Home made is the way forward :)