PDA

View Full Version : rear towin eye..

doherty
05-08-06, 02:47 AM
whats the best way of removin the rear towin eye hole on the normal back bumper so that it wont crack!???
:confused: :thumb:

Tazzy
05-08-06, 06:50 AM
at a guess, well, an idea a mate of mine had for me, screw a piece of plastic over the hole, then filler it!

ade
05-08-06, 05:01 PM
do you really want to do this?

I mean - if you break down or summut can the front end is no good (due to crash) how you gonna move car?

Best thing would be to make some kind of block that can fill the hole and clips onto the eye. mount it to fit snug in the hole and then smooth the outside the match the bumper (like the front towing eye cover). Then it can be simply pulled away when needed.

A simplepiece of curves plastic glued to a clamp of some soet that locks onto towing eye would work - can be released from underneath the car...

doherty
06-08-06, 10:05 AM
do you really want to do this?

I mean - if you break down or summut can the front end is no good (due to crash) how you gonna move car?

Best thing would be to make some kind of block that can fill the hole and clips onto the eye. mount it to fit snug in the hole and then smooth the outside the match the bumper (like the front towing eye cover). Then it can be simply pulled away when needed.

A simplepiece of curves plastic glued to a clamp of some soet that locks onto towing eye would work - can be released from underneath the car...

lol my brother said the same thing...

i simply said..theres a back axle there too..:thumb:

is there anyway of makin p38 pon more flexible..i no usin less hardner in it makes it a wee bit less ridgid

or even anything that does the same job (ie: fills smooth an wont crack around the edge hole in bumper):confused:

thanks anyway ade:thumb:

ade
06-08-06, 06:55 PM
You cant really make body filler flexible - its not in its nature (otherwise it'd fall out).

if you really wanna hide the towing eye you can bend plastic to match the basic contour of the bumper, making a slit on the bumper at the top of the eye for the plastic to go into then bend it underneath abd fasten it in place like below -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/w2.jpg

you can skim the plastic once bent to match the
shape of the bumper (just mask off the bumper 1st so you dont mark it - skim with filler to get basic shape and sand back till it matches.)

By using a self tapping screw at the bottom and having a little slot that a tab can slot into at the top it'll be perfect.

bigbened
06-08-06, 11:15 PM
use bumper filler, its more flexible, but sume twocer crashed into me and it fell out do!!!

doherty
09-08-06, 06:09 PM
thanks again ade...but i think ill try the bumper filler method

less fiddly lol..

ade
09-08-06, 07:57 PM
maybe less fiddley but its sh1te (speaking from exprience) - it's only really good if its for filling small scuffs and dents not big holes

Your other problem is that unless your bumpers smooth you'll have an obvious smooth patch (it'll stand out when you spray it because bumper paset is a dark brownish/grey colour).

doherty
09-08-06, 11:57 PM
im not gonna use it to fill the complete hole lol

i cut a piece of sheet metal an bent it into a decent shape then usede layers of body filler got it all nice the left it to sink...came back an its cracked around 70% of the way round the edge..so im gonna rub back an use bumper filler as final skim...

btw im smoothin the texture out of the bumper ;):cool: :thumb:

ade
13-08-06, 01:11 AM
cool!

post pics up once done...

doherty
13-08-06, 06:58 PM
no problem ade... shes goin to be painted within the next 1/2 weeks....ive left it out at the garage an all...

im like a 5 year old on christmas eve lol..:D

oh btw could you u2u me a price for a model made of it...itll not be for a few months yet..have to get it near finished lol...but i deffo want one..they look fluckin fantastic!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :cool: