PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a 1.6

Anonymous
13-02-01, 01:33 AM
I was reading the article about fitting a 1.6 engine in a Nova, on this site.

What I'm wondering is, can't you just get a 1.6 carbed engine from an Astra or Cav?
These are dirt cheep (certainly much cheaper than a GTE/GSi engine), BUT, are they as easy to fit?

What about the gear box? (the flywheel/bell-housing problem)
Can you fit a box from an Astra or Cav, on to a Nova? (say the one that could come with the engine)

I'm asking because I may do that very thing, and as in the article, I didn't want to arse around with fuel injection and ECU's
At first, I'd just stick with the standard carb that comes with the engine, but at least I'd have 90PS in standard form.
I've seen loads of Cav 1.6 engines for sale, for around ?40 - ?80, and my current engine (1.3 SR - in mint condition), only cost me ?40, so it seams a pretty cheep way of getting more power.

What do you guys think?

Anonymous
13-02-01, 11:02 AM
1.6 cav and astra are mostly big block

Anonymous
13-02-01, 05:48 PM
whats "big block"??

Anonymous
14-02-01, 11:35 PM
They're the same engine as the GTE/GSi one....aren't they?

They look the same (I think).
In the pictures in the Vauxhall brochures, they look the same.
Now you've gone and confused me! lol

Anonymous
15-02-01, 04:37 PM
Big block engines, ie 2.0l need modified driveshafts, engine mounts etc. Don`t bother fitting a big block 1.6, it`s not worth it!

Anonymous
16-02-01, 12:58 AM
So the Astra/Cav 1.6 engines are larger than the Nova 1.6?

Weird.

I thought they'd be the same engine, so you'd be able to fit one as easy as you can a Nova 1.6!

You say that only some of the Astra/Cav engines are big block....so some aren't then?
How do you tell the difference, and can you fit one of these into a Nova easily?

Anonymous
16-02-01, 08:25 AM
The easiest way is the gearbox, F10, F13 are small block F16 and F20 are big block it is stamped on the gearbox case just behind the gear linkage.:)I think early astras used small block? You want one from an astra SR if you can find one.

Plese don't let busses pull out.

Anonymous
16-02-01, 11:34 PM
Cheers Paul.

Early Astra SR you say.......as early as MKI or do early MKII's also use the small block?

I'll have to visit the scrappy, and have a look, though I'll not be doing it for a while, if at all. I may have to sell my Nova, and get something cheaper for now - need money for new business.

Anonymous
17-02-01, 10:26 AM
The early MII sr I think, there suposed to have bigger valves ect? :)

Plese don't let busses pull out.

Anonymous
17-02-01, 05:35 PM
i fitted abig block 1.6 to my last car and it was shit
most bigblocks have the varajetII carb and the small blocks have the peirburb 2e3

Micky@novaload.net :)