PDA

View Full Version : STE or MICKEY......

Anonymous
11-02-01, 12:27 PM
right lads posted that i had an oil leak a while back so i put on new rocker cover and filler cap only thing is it kept leaking. so stupidly i tightened up the bolts and one snapped!! oops. so off cam rocker cover had a look at it and it wasnt flush doh!(the one part that wasnt was were the bolt snapped). still not that bad a problem though so i started to drill it out. took my mind of it for one second after 20 mins of drilling and going nowhere. drilled out a chunk off the housing. oops again
so what this is asking is do i know need a new cam carrier and i aint gonna do it cause im scared now so how much will it cost for a garage do do it.
an excuse for me im 17 and ive never touched a car before i got my nova. and i suck:)
cheers for any help.

Anonymous
11-02-01, 05:16 PM
what you should have done is get sum mole grips on the remanider ov the bolt and unscrewed it! its the compresion that makes it tight if the tops not on the bolt then its just like it being in a few turns (nice and easy)

now goto a scrappy and get another 1.2/1.3 cam housing
you will prob have to pay for the cam as well now there are 2 ways you can buy a head gasket and replace it when you take the head bolts out (which your supposed to really)

but its possible to slaken the head bolts and take them out, now get a heavy mate the push down on the inlet/exhaust manifolds to stop the head moving and lightly knock the cam housing, with a bit ov luck the housing will come off and you wont have to do the head gasket (less work!) you will need to replace the head bolts as there the stretch type and they normally snap after 3 tighten/untighten sessions (you prob wont know how many they have been done in the past)

the jobs easy if you have a haynes manuel just rember to stick the cam that was origanly for your 1.3 in the new housing (dont think well the new cam/housing is for 1.3 so it will be okay, it wont it will rattle its tits off)

also make sure that the cam followers (the bits that the cam pushes onto are sitting nice and square b4 you reffit.

you will prob need to drian your water 1st b4 you do the job as its a bet it will leak when you take the head bolts/comhousing out/off (although sumtimes they dont)

if u need anymore help just ask, but the job isnt that hard so dont pay anybody else to do it!

Anonymous
11-02-01, 07:41 PM
cheers micky but it snapped flush along the housing. i had to drill and tap new threads. it all started after i did the head gasket actually. since i put a new gasket on to rocker cover and things got worse there after(filler cap was loose too but got looser after new gasket? god knows why). ill have a bash at it and tell u how i got on. could take a while before i do cause the cars up at a mates garage on a hill in about 3 ft of snow!!!

cheers again mate

Anonymous
11-02-01, 08:21 PM
I have cam carriers in stock as for the rest micky is right

Anonymous
11-02-01, 09:24 PM
some one did that to my car b4 i bourght it and the head went a few weeks later so i'd take the long work now rather than taking a shortcut and doing loads of work later :)

Anonymous
12-02-01, 06:48 PM
ste i mailed you regarding cam carrier.
however whats this crap about endfloat???
and about the work do i just take all components off my housing just now(dizzy cam lockplate etc) and just put it on new housing then refit to head?

cheers for the help