PDA

View Full Version : only running on two cylinders.

JSeymour
30-07-06, 01:21 PM
Only two cylinders are firing up, i changed the leads, plugs and dizzy but still doesnt run right.

this all happened when i drove it to fast so could i have bent/shagged the valves :confused:

Adam
30-07-06, 01:25 PM
What engine

JSeymour
30-07-06, 01:32 PM
1.4 sr carb

inushmiah
30-07-06, 01:35 PM
depends what engines init the 1.2 i had cambelt Snapped on the motorway no valves had been damaged and in my 1.4 sr same problem but 2 vale bent which was vale 8 an 2 this was running on 2 as well u done a compression test
Forgot to mention cam belt doesn’t have to snap to bend valve hydraulic lifters seize for a split second at high revs

mad-driver
30-07-06, 02:37 PM
I don't see why driving it too fast would suddenly bend valves, else mine would have gone long ago lol. May it be a fuelling problem? What spec is the engine

JSeymour
30-07-06, 02:44 PM
standard.

i was on the motorway when it happened, it sounded rough for a couple of seconds then a puff of black smoke came out then it ran shlt!

Stuart
30-07-06, 02:50 PM
blocked carb jet ;)

JSeymour
30-07-06, 02:57 PM
cheers, il give that a look.

stafford
30-07-06, 03:44 PM
check compression cause i think the head gasket has gone between 2 cylinders trynthat pal
gud luck:thumb:

Adam
30-07-06, 03:48 PM
Also, check to see if you get a good spark at all four plugs.

SRlew
30-07-06, 06:01 PM
mine ran like a sack of s**t once. i thought it was only on 2 but i sorted the plugs and then it was fine.

inushmiah
31-07-06, 12:01 AM
standard.

i was on the motorway when it happened, it sounded rough for a couple of seconds then a puff of black smoke came out then it ran shlt!

100 % its your valves thats what hapend to myne 2 times the hydrolic lifters seze for a split sec

then i uprated the lifters to solid

inushmiah
31-07-06, 12:06 AM
if it is the valvs can you let me know ples

SuperNova!
31-07-06, 12:39 AM
Please make an effort with the typing before stu goes off on one.

How do you know it is running on 2 cylinders?

Get the rocker cover off and make sure everything is in its place first,

Get the spark plugs out and check them,

Do a compression test while the plugs are out,

Armed with the answers to the above questions you will have your problem identified.

If the compression test comes up with varied results the head will need to come off so be prepared and find somewhere to skim it while its off

JSeymour
31-07-06, 09:25 AM
I know its only running on two cylinders because i unplugged the two leads and it sounded/ran exactly the same. plugs are fine and checked under the rocker cover.

ive cleaned out the carb and taken the head of(going to change the starter motor whilst its off as its playing up and easyer to get to) then put a new 1400 head on as ive got one spare and as im still not sure whats up with it!?!

Stuart
31-07-06, 10:32 AM
of course you converted to sloids becuase you drove like a bender.... :wall:

there is a chance that the plugs are dead... i know you said they were new or what ever but you can still have DOA's

therealnovaboy
31-07-06, 02:51 PM
with my 1.2 carburated nova i have the same problem it suits its self some days it wil runn fine then others it will run like its got 1/2 a cylinder. you notice it most when you are breaking cos of the servo assisted breakes, i too changed plugs leads distributer and coil and still does it . also when i sit and backfire my nova (mabee not the best idea) if you do a good couple it will splutter and run on three cylinders then would come clear after a while , i thought i had solved this when i changed the coil in the distributer because it ran fine after for a while . sure as **** its started doing it again but im starting to think that its the valves. think ive mabe scored the valves or even better bent some it could also just be carbon build up on the valve seats but i cant think of anything else, ive got another 1200 head that i polished out a bit and re ground the valves, ill put this on at the weekend and will be interesting to see if it makes a differance because i im runing out of ideas.

Adam
31-07-06, 03:20 PM
Running bad on colder mornings?
Just sounds like your using too much/not enough choke.

therealnovaboy
31-07-06, 03:23 PM
its not the choke

Adam
31-07-06, 03:28 PM
If it were a problem with the valves surely it would be constant, not intermittent?

SuperNova!
31-07-06, 05:00 PM
^Agreed

therealnovaboy
01-08-06, 08:08 AM
youd think that but with mine it seems to get worse when the engine heats up and i was wondering if was somthing to do with the carbon building up on the valves because it does run on sometimes if its warm.