PDA

View Full Version : Wobbling at 50-70mph

NikosNova
28-07-06, 07:02 PM
Hi, when driving my car, as it approaches 55ish mph it starts to wobble a bit. Im guesing this could be the balancing of the wheels, but someone also suggested to me that it could be the spigot rings. Currently sitting on 17" momos.

Any suggestions?

SuperNova!
28-07-06, 07:28 PM
Could be that the Far too big 17" wheels have thrown the cars geometry all over the place,

Or if it happens on acceleration it could be driveshaft related (happened on mine).

Wheel balancing (as already mentioned, check no weights have fallen off).

Stating the obvious but are all your wheels done up its easy to forget to do one up properly.

hope this helps

NikosNova
28-07-06, 07:41 PM
acceleration is fine, its possible that some weights have fallen off, i think ill take it into my local garage to get all the wheels balanced anyway, just to make sure they are all correct. Then if it still wobbles after that ill ask em what they think it will be.

craig green
28-07-06, 08:21 PM
Often cars seem to get this at 60ish. Could be wheels, tyres, weights,shafts discs or even worn steering components.

NikosNova
28-07-06, 09:23 PM
best bet to take into a garage then and let them have a look?

Donova
29-07-06, 12:15 AM
Front hub bearing not tightened properly caused mine to do exactly what you described.

ade
29-07-06, 09:45 AM
when you say wobbles - what wobbles - the steering wheel, the whole car, the wheels (like a rhythmical thudding)?

If the car tramlines too (ie the wheels suddenly follow a groove in the road and snatch the steering wheel from you or your always fighting to make it go in a straight line) then your wheels are to blame. Too big, wrong offset and wrong size affecting cars set up. This is compounded is its lowered because the camber will be out making them lean in.

If its the steering wheel (vibrations over 50 and when braking - mine does this) take the above and consider that it could be worn steering components, suspension mounts, strut tops and bushes (inc tie bar). When braking is could be warped discs or uneven pads or seized calipers

If the wheel balancing is okay I'm going with the tractor wheels you have on it. Novas were designed with 13" wheels up to 14" - 15's are usually okay but go above this and you'll always get steering vibration/handling probs.