View Full Version : Engine Noise

tom_beverley
27-07-06, 10:02 PM
Not sure if its coming from the head or block as it only does it when there is a bit of load on the engine.

I can sometimes hear a rattly tappy noise. It only happens when I put the engine under a bit more load, and gets louder as I put my foot down slightly.

For example when I am going up a hill and have it in 3rd with my foot hardly on the throttle I cn hear anything, but when I press a little harder on the throttle I can hear the noise. It sounds like the engine is struggling, like I need to change down a gear.

It has only just started doing this and the rest of the time sounds fine.

Just wondering if something is on its way out?

Thanks

Tom

stafford
27-07-06, 10:46 PM
wat engine is it? 1.4 sr bottom end are prone to goin
if its a rattle like something pretty small its summurt to do wit the head if its a knock mabye bottom end

Adam
28-07-06, 12:13 AM
It could be pinking, if its a mettalic rattle under loud.

If its like a underwater knocking tho, it may be big end bearings which would get worse under loud.

Take the spark plugs out see if they look normal colour.

tom_beverley
29-07-06, 04:01 PM
Plugs are nice and sooty :)

Doesn't sound like knocking more like a rattle or like a diesel, getting worse the more load I put on the engine, doesn't hesitate or stutter but sounds sh!%

I have being using Castrol Valvemaster Lead Replacement with Octane boost so I didn't think it could be pinking?

More noticeable on hills where there is more load on the engine, but when its higher up the revs it quietens down.

Adam
29-07-06, 04:38 PM
Pinking will sound like a rattle under loud.

Why are you using Lead Replacement additive?

Geth
29-07-06, 04:53 PM
Sounds like pinking to me too. I don't quite see why you would want use lead replacement additive either and octane boosters wouldn't stop a car from oinking. Pinking will usualy happen when your timing is out.

Geth
29-07-06, 04:54 PM
lol I said oinking, I meant pinking lol

tom_beverley
29-07-06, 04:54 PM
Car seemed a lot more responsive when I filled up with four star, but its hardly available anymore so this is the next best thing.

Car made the noise before I started using it but has got a bit worse and frequent over the last couple of days.

I wouldn't have thought it would be anything top end since its only ran about 5k since rebuild.

tom_beverley
29-07-06, 05:00 PM
Sorry I only thought pinking was due to low fuel octane. lol at oinking hehe lol

The other day the timing belt went slack for some reason and the car wouldn't run, but when I put it back on it was tight again!

Bought a new tensioner but couldn't see how the belt could go slack in the first place?

Adam
29-07-06, 05:16 PM
Pinking is due to low octane fuel, as well as ignition timing, too high compression ratio etc as well.
Octane boosters will stop it from pinking, as it will increase the fuels octane rating, stopping it detonating.

Just run it on unleaded, and back the igntion timing off slightly.
If i was you i'd back the dizzy off a bit now, and see if that stops the noise.

The belt could have gone slack if the tensioner f**ked up, which is the reason why Stu always tells people remove the tensioner and run a shorter belt tensioned by the water pump only.
You've had a lucky escape if the tensioner let the belt go slack, and you spotted it before the belt jumped off the cam sprocket...

tom_beverley
29-07-06, 05:37 PM
Well I'd given it a few revs and when I changed gear and put my foot back on the accelerator it spluttered and backfired (t40's must amplify the sound cos it was loud as hell!)

Had to drive it home (not even half a mile luckily) with it like this. Didn't even think of the timing belt going slack so I checked all the carb jets and other checks, it was when I checked to see if any belt teeth were missing that I noticed how slack the belt was!

Has this happened as few times to people?

I'll mess with the dizzy to see if that improves anything, its not constantly rattly but its annoying that the car sounds **** when I'm going up hills in 3rd/4th.

Will I need a different water pump to cope with tensioning or are they all capable?

Adam
29-07-06, 05:52 PM
Same waterpump, but you'll need a belt off a early 1400, got less teeth than the newer style belt.

I've never had the tensioner fail on me, but other people have, and its cost them a few valves. Lol

Try retarding the timing slightly(anticlocwise from dizzy cap end)

If the belt going slack had done any damage i think the noise would be constant.

tom_beverley
29-07-06, 06:48 PM
Thanks matey! :thumb: