PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Back Box

novamadman
26-07-06, 06:19 PM
Call me a boy racer if you want, dont really car, but everyone likes a nice note off their car. Anyway, full stainless janspeed system = **** no noise. So looking for something not ott 3 million " tailpipes 18 exit exhaust. Something nice with a bit of a note off it to drown out the usual winy sort of sound of a 1200 engine whn you rev it lol

just wanting peoples opinions on hats decent and will last, with a nice sound, like i said though not ott lol

tried ringing a place not far from me about getting a powerflow back box mde to whatever spec i want it in terms of und and looks - but prices start from 150 so that knocks that down the ****ter.

What are can back boxes like?

cheers shane :thumb:

Adam
26-07-06, 06:33 PM
Ashley. ;)

I had a can type backbox on my old astra lol, sounded crap imo.

beavy69
27-07-06, 09:02 AM
All I have done to mine is a 4 into 1 manifold: This I have found changed the sound from being a raspy banger noise into more of a refined, tuned sound. Plus it makes you faster:thumb:

I have one of the newer centre scilencers with the rounder sausage shape scilencer as opposed to the squared off drum shape that is on the original system. This improoved sound (and probably performance due to the better flow but not enough to notice) but probably because the old centre can had a load of **** in it.

And my back box was a universal 3" alu job from ebay ?23! Mind you I still don't have a welder and I had to pay ?60 for a connecting pipe to be made up and welded on+fitted etc. But it sounds pretty damn good now.

I have been going up hill (when the engine is a little louder as it's working harder) and set off other peoples car alarms before now!

SRlew
27-07-06, 10:23 AM
yer i always set off car alarms.

iv got an ashley, there nice.

im looking to a well quiet exhaust now to see what it sounds like with the carbs.

but ashleys down a motorway is well loud. my brother has an ashley and when i went past him on the motor way he said mine was well loud!! probably due to the straight through lol

Mike
27-07-06, 12:09 PM
but ashleys down a motorway is well loud. my brother has an ashley and when i went past him on the motor way he said mine was well loud!! probably due to the straight through lol

PMSL, ive got an ashley system and sportex manifold and on the motorway my mates can hear my nova over there various cars!! And when i overtake them they dont half bloody hear it then!!! lol

Although the ashley is a lot qeiter then my old Rage 4" back box!! :D

SRlew
27-07-06, 12:12 PM
yer they are defo loud on the motorway!

quieter than your old one!!lol

Mike
27-07-06, 12:17 PM
quieter than your old one!!lol

Trust me, a lot qeutier!! Now at my average cruising speed on the motorway *cough*98*cough* i only have to have the stereo on 25 instead of max at 40!!! lol

When i go past coaches all there heads turn around and look down at me!! PMSL

Pigeonrat9
27-07-06, 12:23 PM
Ashley are doing the original Nova Sport backboxes for a hundred quid...subtle, but a nice rasp.

Mike
27-07-06, 12:30 PM
Ashley are doing the original Nova Sport backboxes for a hundred quid...subtle, but a nice rasp.

As in the red backboxs??

All ashley nova back boxs are ?100??? As the sytems for an SR are ?127 with free delivery, well free for me anyway lol

Pigeonrat9
27-07-06, 01:08 PM
Yep, bought one a few months ago. The ad was in the back of Total Vauxhall, I think it was from Midland Performance Centre. It was advertised as an original Nova Sport tailbox in black, but I was surprised (and a bit pleased) to find it was red when it turned up...

It's more expensive than the standard boxes (probably just because of the red paint :D :D) but it's ideal for me - a nice rasp under acceleration, but almost silent at idle and on the motorway...

Mike
27-07-06, 01:11 PM
from Midland Performance Centre.

Bunch of con artists they are!! I'd never buy nowt from them :wtf:

Pigeonrat9
27-07-06, 01:22 PM
Bunch of con artists they are!! I'd never buy nowt from them :wtf:

Oh well, I paid for it with some profits from Ebay, so it wasn't like it was hard-earned lol

Speaking of which, I seem to recall seeing that same backbox (used) sell on Ebay for about ?85 plus some extortionate postage recently, so it could've been worse...

SRlew
27-07-06, 02:19 PM
It's more expensive than the standard boxes (probably just because of the red paint :D :D) but it's ideal for me - a nice rasp under acceleration, but almost silent at idle and on the motorway...

so is that back box a different note to the normal ashley ones?

Ste L
27-07-06, 03:07 PM

this is basically a full 'sport' style system, with 2" standard look exit

Ashley Vauxhall/Opel Nova SR 2" Twin Box System 3" Single Stainless Steel Tail Pipe (AVXS1)

http://www.ashleyexhausts.co.uk/p1411239.htm :thumb:

Adam
27-07-06, 03:25 PM
Ashley prices have gone up recently.
They used be about ?105 including delivery.

Good to see them making Nova XE 4-1 manifolds to, save cutting/welding downpipes.

Lol at some of the FAQs on nova 4branches, they should really find the correct answer before replying.

Ste L
27-07-06, 03:35 PM
yea,made them for ages, but have you seen the price for the ashley manifold for xe nova :eek:

rather just mod the standard manifold

Adam
27-07-06, 03:43 PM
Ye, seems quite expensive for a mild steel manifold that will just rust away.

Ste L
27-07-06, 03:53 PM
exactly