PDA

View Full Version : grills

Dave.
26-07-06, 04:27 PM
getting rid of my merit grill and going for a gte grill meshed merit or no grill atall.
which is best

craig green
26-07-06, 04:33 PM
eh?

thats like asking whats best? Fosters or lager?

Read MAX POWER & see what they say. You are allowed to make your own decisions!

Dave.
26-07-06, 04:34 PM
got it infront of me
the meshed and no grill options both look the best

loggyboy
26-07-06, 04:39 PM
i assume we are talking MK1 grills

Depends on the rest of the car - but definately DO NOT go for meshed - it looks f*ing awful mid 90s chav w*nky Pooo boll*x

my personal fave is gte/SR with colour to match the car (if the car has grey bumpers then no colour) and also badged to suit - dont for for GTE on a 1.2 as thats sad.

Dave.
26-07-06, 04:41 PM
mines a mk1
theres pics of it in the new look nova website thread
black sr or gte u say
ok ill go for that
cheers loggyboy

loggyboy
26-07-06, 04:59 PM
on ur little blue merrit go for an unpainted SR - like u had on my mk1 merit 16v
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/FlushQtr.JPG

Matt2107
26-07-06, 05:04 PM
Meshed GTE.

Do not go for no grill... its there for a reason.

Alternatively if your gonna get it colour coded then it looks much better with the recess smoothed out IMO. Easy to do with a bit of filler and if its your first time using it then its good practice.

Stuart
26-07-06, 06:21 PM
STYLING FORUM...... :wall:

loggyboy
26-07-06, 10:09 PM
on the (2nd) most overmoderated forum i know - there is no Mod to move it :rolleyes:

Stuart
27-07-06, 08:40 AM
if its so bad you know what not to do ;)

ade
27-07-06, 10:28 PM
is it a mk1 or mk2? If its a merit grill then I'm thinking mk2 which meansd the GTE grill wont fit properly (you'll have a gap beneath the lights where the mk2 grill goes and it'll look stupid).

You would try colour coding the slats. If I was keeping my nova standard (as in not changing thre whole front end!) I'd keep the mk2 grill and paint the slats anthracite like this -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0079-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0080.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0081-1.jpg

this belongs to a guy who comes on here occasionally - stunning Nova and the colour really matches - well thought out...

loggyboy
28-07-06, 12:24 AM
is it a mk1 or mk2? If its a merit grill then I'm thinking mk2 which meansd the GTE grill wont fit properly (you'll have a gap beneath the lights where the mk2 grill goes and it'll look stupid).

Ummmmm, firstly hes already stated mk1, secondly, how can it being a merit grill, bring you to the assumption its mk2? when ALL mk2 grills are the same bar the badges. :confused: :confused: :confused: its mk1s that have 4-5 differnet styles depending on age and model

ade
29-07-06, 09:35 AM
eh? the merit badge was only on mk2's so saying his mk1's a merit isnt right (as far as I'm aware - mk2 merit and merit+ = injection).

"merit grills" had the bar under the lights (the same as all mk2's did) - I may have jumped a couple of the posts but the info given is a tad erattic!

should state I have a mk1 nova (post a pic) and want to change the grill to this one (post pic of the one he has in his hand) - will it fit.

I dunno coz I cant see either. SO - gave him some options of a nice grill I saw on a mk2. the idea could be used - the as long as he uses a mk1 style grill.

Dave.
30-07-06, 12:24 PM
but mines got like a moulded badge on it. my mk1 grill i mean. im not converting to mk2. too much work for me. how would i remove the badge. its like been moulded to the grill. if you get me. like this

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/x_novadose_x/DSC00121.jpg

Jack
30-07-06, 05:51 PM
That badge won't remove afaik, only the pre-facelift Mk1s had a removable badge. Best bet would be a SR/GTE grille, as in the pic Loggyboy posted. I had the same on my saloon, looked Ok in my opinion.

Matt2107
31-07-06, 01:25 PM
You know I'd actually keep that moulded badge... looks a little different.

Gunzi
31-07-06, 01:46 PM
PMSL @ Loggy lol

I'd say get an SR / GTE grill :thumb: Sod the mesh that'd make it look :tosser:

loggyboy
31-07-06, 01:50 PM
eh? the merit badge was only on mk2's so saying his mk1's a merit isnt right (as far as I'm aware - mk2 merit and merit+ = injection).

"merit grills" had the bar under the lights (the same as all mk2's did) - I may have jumped a couple of the posts but the info given is a tad erattic!

should state I have a mk1 nova (post a pic) and want to change the grill to this one (post pic of the one he has in his hand) - will it fit.

I dunno coz I cant see either. SO - gave him some options of a nice grill I saw on a mk2. the idea could be used - the as long as he uses a mk1 style grill.

What are you on about... ??
the merit as a model was availble in mk1 and mk2 - there is no such thing as a 'merit grill' in either shape. there is a mk1 (post early face lift - D reg ish) base grill which he has in the pic above, the was the SR slatted grill that was also used on the GTE (but was colour coded) the badges on the SR and GTE were removeable. there was also a grill fitted to mk1 saloons that was a cris-cross style. ALL mk2 grills are the same.

bigbened
31-07-06, 01:50 PM
i think what i did looks the best,
just get a mk1 grill like off a 1.2, chop the slats out ans fill/fibreglass the sides to get it smooth, and simply mesh it. looks way better than any other ive seen.
ill get some pics when i get my cam bk