PDA

View Full Version : Metric/Imperial Olil Filter on a Nova

salter
25-07-06, 03:51 PM
Just come to change the oil on my 1.3 engine and theres a metric oil filter on. The one it should be is imperial! Does any one know any problems this may cause ? Can I just go back and use the imperial ?

Thanks

mikey14sr
25-07-06, 05:58 PM
get a metric one, or you'll bu**er the threads on the filter and it'll fall off, they changed the thread from imperial to metric way back in late '84/ early '85.

-Bruce-
25-07-06, 07:41 PM
get a metric one, or you'll bu**er the threads on the filter and it'll fall off, they changed the thread from imperial to metric way back in late '84/ early '85.

Never knew that!! Interesting.

Does that mean most of the vauxhall range changed at that time?? As im sure alot of engines use the same filter!!

Bruce

mikey14sr
25-07-06, 08:03 PM
they might have, only certain of the nova because i've come across it a few times

Novasport
25-07-06, 08:14 PM
I got a new filter for my Sport a few years ago to do an oil change and it was on for about a week then it fired itself off!!! Luckily I had only just started it and was reversing up the drive when I heard a clunk and a nice line of oil where I had been. It had shot of and hit the ARB, luckily I killed the engine before it got noisey, found out I had a later engine in my Sport which should be imperial but I had fitted a metric one, oops.
Thread was OK but I fitted a new insert anyway(Just screw in to block).
Can't belive it lasted a week tho as I used to drive it hard and it seemed to tighten up well when I fitted it.

salter
26-07-06, 12:48 PM
I must be very lucky as I have done about 5000 miles on the metric one and its had two metric's on before that but according to the engine number it should be imperial!!!

As you say the fit seemed ok. I have only found out about the imperial/metric as the Vauxhall dealer asked me which one I wanted when i went in for a new filter the other day which they never asked before!

Think I might get them to have alook!

salter
26-07-06, 12:50 PM
By the way Imperial is the older type isnt it and metric is the new type? As the thread above mentions a later engine being Imperial ? Dont want to get it wrong again!

Mike
26-07-06, 12:53 PM
Imperial is old school, metric is new. :thumb:

craig green
26-07-06, 01:22 PM
few early B platers were imperial threaded.

salter
27-07-06, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies, hopefully last question!

I notice above it's mentioned you can get an adaptor, any ideas if theres an adaptor you can insert into the imperial thread and then use metric ? Vauxhall have said they no longer service the imperial adaptor!

mikey14sr
27-07-06, 06:23 PM
Part No. 90144360 is the metric adapter you want. AFAIK all you have to do is unscrew the old one from the block and screw the new one in.