PDA

View Full Version : broken down again. wont turn over

SRlew
23-07-06, 10:58 PM
put a new battery in and got the engine running, i started it a few times over the space of bout an hour, all seemed good. so thought id go for a drive to warm it up. drove into town (bout 5mins drive) got some petrol. went to start the car at the garage and nothing!!

when i fitted the engine and went to start it for the first time it wouldnt turn over what so ever, the starter wouldnt even try, it wouldnt do the usual click.
that turned out to be a bad earth connection so i sanded the earth mounting points down and that sorted that, it would then turn over.

well its now doing the same as that :confused: when i went to pic the car up from the garage a couple days ago he said, get some more earths on it. i havent done this yet so could it be down to that? but why did it suddenly stop working?

was gutted the car was starting to feel quick! so iv only driven the car with this engine for 10 mins!!!

long i know but trying to let you see whats happend etc

help appreciated lew

SRlew
24-07-06, 09:39 AM
if i was to put a new earth from the battery to the starter. which point would i screw it to on the starter?

cheers, lew

benji
24-07-06, 10:36 AM
get new earths on the points i told you and it shold be fine.

SRlew
24-07-06, 10:42 AM
right will sort that then buddy!

SRlew
24-07-06, 12:07 PM
right just got a lenght of thick wire and wrapped it around the battery and a bolt on the inlet.

it turned over etc. every thing was fine all working went round the block etc then when i came to pull up at my house the digi dash turned off! then i put the sterio facia on and the sterio wouldnt come on either! whats caused this then?

cheers, lew

Adam
24-07-06, 01:03 PM
Fuse blown?

SRlew
24-07-06, 01:09 PM
where though there isnt one in the main fuse holer part is there?

Adam
24-07-06, 01:13 PM
Fuse 18,20A.

Im pretty sure the dash and headunit are on the same Ignition live wire, and share the same fuse.

SRlew
24-07-06, 03:03 PM
spot on matey :thumb: mines a 30amp though, got to find one now

thats one problem solved!!

Adam
24-07-06, 03:53 PM
But, why did the fuse blow in the first place? Lol

TommySR
24-07-06, 04:01 PM
Just a quick question, my engine sounds like it is having same problem as SRlews, where abouts are the earth straps on a 1400 8v as i need to clean them up to see if it solves starting problems.

SRlew
24-07-06, 04:25 PM
well just put a new fuse in and turned on the ignition. was fine untill i turned it over then the fuse went again.......? so what could cause it to keep blowing?

the only ones i know of mate are the one from the alternator to the inlet manifold and theres one from the gearbox to the shell, just above the gearbox. there the earth srap ones.
then you'v got one or 2 that are held down with small screws for like the wiring etc

but iv just got one from the battery to one of the inlet manifold bolts now aswell as it wouldnt turn over without it and the garage said get some more.

Adam
24-07-06, 04:47 PM
Sounds like its a dodgy earth causing all your problems to me Lew.
I'd check them all again, making sure they are all connected well.

Especially the gearbox one.

Tommy-Depends what earths you have, some novas have a gearbox to chassis strap, some dont. Mine dont.

Riggy
24-07-06, 05:53 PM
mk2 nova dont have the g/box to chassis leg strap as the earth comes of the battery and go's to the g/box through one of the starter bolts , (its a bitch to get to aswell )

womble sri
24-07-06, 06:09 PM
i have this problem as well my car starts and then sometimes it wont especially if it was hot. then after cranking it for a bit the neutral off the battery started smokin it was quite worn so i changed it and charged up the battery and it worked so i took her for a lap and she started fine. next morning it just wouldnt have it so i got my dad to tow me up the road and whacked it in gear and it started turned it of and tried again and it was all good then next day nothing. tommySR and SRlew what cars you have obviously srs but are they modded eg twin40s, cam ect and are they mk1s?

SRlew
24-07-06, 06:15 PM
womble iv just got my engine running its a 1400 8v, piper 285 cam, dellorto 40s gas flowed sri head, and f13 box. mk1 car

and at the minute i have go a dodgey earth iv just got a lenght of thickish wire, wrapped it round the battery point and the other end round a bolt on the inlet, not the best. i went and baught an actuall earth strap but havent fitted it yet.

dan23
24-07-06, 06:16 PM
what about the earth on alternator adjuster plate

bump
24-07-06, 06:17 PM
mk2 nova dont have the g/box to chassis leg strap as the earth comes of the battery and go's to the g/box through one of the starter bolts , (its a bitch to get to aswell )

Errr.....My mk2 has the box to chassis leg earth strap.

Adam
24-07-06, 06:26 PM
I've seen a few mk2's with the earth strap....

Riggy
24-07-06, 06:26 PM
prob just been fitted as an extra by someone i know i did on mine lol

Adam
24-07-06, 06:29 PM
Is it worth fitting one?
I dont have any probs with earths etc, but you never know,Lol.

Riggy
24-07-06, 06:40 PM
lol dont know tbh ad , just that i had a few starting probs when i fitted the gsi engine so i fitted one then , still didint work till i fitted the whole gsi loom lol but have just left the earth strap lol

Adam
24-07-06, 06:44 PM
Lol.

bump
24-07-06, 06:54 PM
prob just been fitted as an extra by someone i know i did on mine lol

Nope, unless the 80 year old woman who had it before me was handy with a spanner, or the dealership did it. :D