PDA

View Full Version : relocating radiator

ade
22-07-06, 11:05 PM
as part of my rebuild I'm fitting Punto lights (see styling sticky) however a wee problem I have is that the lights foul on the passenger left side radiator mount.

Has anyone on here relocated / moved their radiator and if so how did you do it.

I need to avoid welding wher possible (I cant do it) although am very handy with a rivetter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights017.jpg

(Above pics show the mounting point for the upright that holds the rad which is connected to the slam panel.

All ideas welcome (I have a brand new radiator so dont want to damage it!)

Ade

Stuart
23-07-06, 09:11 AM
whats therad from? td/1.2/1.6 ... if its the 1.2 then you can shunt it to the drivers side a little bit more and drop it down a touch as its shorter.

ade
23-07-06, 09:53 PM
its a GSi rad (shells a 1.2 though).

Mike
24-07-06, 12:10 PM
Ade, the mounts are mirrored on the drivers side of the shell!! (For left hand drive novas :thumb:)

So just pull the rubber mounts out, the move them over accordingly :D

ade
24-07-06, 09:55 PM
thought of that but I dont think theres an additional hole on my lower panel (its a patern part - not GM).

I'll check tomorrow...

ade
25-07-06, 10:38 AM
right - did some checking this morning - I cant move it to the other hole on the drivers side because there isnt a hole for the passenger side. Also the hose fouls on the engine mount on that side and the light casing.

I have however discovered that the rad can stay where it is if I cut of the mounting post on the side of the rad (where the rubber block is that locks into the slam panel). It'll give me approx 5mm space which providing the back of the light housing doesnt come in that area should be plenty.

It actually sits nice and snug.

I'll try and post pics later for ref.

Mike
25-07-06, 12:54 PM
Sound then that is, sounds like u got it sussed!! :thumb:

Cheeze
26-07-06, 07:05 AM
That what i done when i done the polo lights mate. i Just cut it out altogether and never had any problems with the rad moving