PDA

View Full Version : Back to paint again

db_1.2
22-07-06, 05:49 PM
I finally found what i think is the supplier of my paint, only problem is, what paint do i buy?!

Heres the choices:

Cellulose
Waterbased

Which one would you advise me on getting.

I finally went for silk violet, perhaps with some mettalic 2k laqour, thought it would look different, aslo what would you advise for basecoat - if any

Thank you for viewing i hope you could help as im not too good with paint:thumb:

db_1.2
22-07-06, 05:51 PM
Basically i found this webpage:

http://www.paints4u.com/productsbyCat.aspx?MainCategoryID=6&MainSelection=22&SubCategoryID=42&Subselection=0

but i have noooo idea what to get, should i just email them and ask them for silk violet for vauxhall and find a code for it?

macc nova
22-07-06, 06:57 PM
Both are good to use, but most places tend to use water based nowdays, ive used cellulose and its fine, just make sure you get the mixtures correct and you will sorted

db_1.2
22-07-06, 07:00 PM
Cool, ive heard that using waterbase is a lot easier to aply laqour after? I think thats the reason a lot fo places use it these days, but ill look into it a little more:thumb:

ade
22-07-06, 10:51 PM
2k every time although its deadly! tough as a biatch

I'm not sure about water based - heard some horror stories re bird sh1te and the lime on water based paint.

Also what ever paint you choose you need to ensure the other paints (base coat and lacquer) are compatible.

Id use cellulose - you'll need to build up more layers but its a much deeper shine.

And if you really dont know - just ask the shop youre getting it from - tell them what your painting, what your set up is (ge a garage, spray booth etc) and they'll advise you...

If its a homer full respray from experience practice on old scrap panels before hand. Spraying a whole car is an absolute biatch if you aint done it before - especially metalic paints because you can get different levels of shione and depth. I sprayed my nova a few years ago carmine red - the 1st time it went all blotchy (too much air in pressure and conditions were too warm so paint was drying before it hit the panel). theres so many things that can affect the finish too.

Get a book on respraying and coachwork (check amazon or Haynes body shop manuals) - you'll be glad you did!

Ade