PDA

View Full Version : steel head gasket

leemh1234
21-07-06, 07:34 PM
Right my mate has a nova sr feature car and he need's a steel head gasket cuz standads no good.its a 1.4sr bottom end with 1.3sr head polished and ported and skimmed with twin choke carb and piper 285 cam.SO does any body know where to get hold of one?:cool:

Dan
21-07-06, 07:58 PM
i think you will find that a normal gm headgasket is more than man enough, there are a few of us that run bigger specs with the 1.6 engine and nothing as ridiculous as that is required.

General Baxter
21-07-06, 09:00 PM
as dan said more than 'man' enough

but if he thinks he needs a steel one, this must mean the 'cork' ones keep breaking, and on a engine spec like that, it means theres something wrong, like very very high compression maybe a bad head job

Stuart
21-07-06, 09:44 PM
High compression on its own WONT cause consistent HG failiure!!!!!

too much ign advance (detonation) can cause the HG to fail. As can a piss poor cooling system, as can a non flat block/head etc

leemh1234
22-07-06, 04:29 PM
its got specail german spec pistons(imported from germany)and it aint cooling as it has a nova td rad.the head's fine and so is bottom end.(its brand new):confused:

Stuart
22-07-06, 04:38 PM
then its setup wrong... FFS dont simply rely on the fact that its got "new" this and "special" that...

that or its been assembled by a complete monkey

Dan
22-07-06, 05:14 PM
lol lol lol lol

As stuart said, either it needs putting together properly or setting up properly.

Orrrrr your mates just trying to 'big up' a build spec which we would almost call normal on here. (of course it could be yourself doing it as a 1.4sr bottom end has already increased to being brand new with 'special lol ' pistons)

Sorry if that comes across as cynical but unless you have a FULL spec then its a pointless question as 99% of people on here run gm gaskets regardless of spec and have no problems at all. you seem to be trying to justify that a steel one is still needed because the replies were not good enough?

Stuart
22-07-06, 05:28 PM
yeah me got a steel headgasket init for all da boost me runz wiv da carb n stuff

leemh1234
22-07-06, 05:41 PM
it was assembled by my mates dad who is know for his s**t hot head work and excellent engine building he's been doing for 30 years now.but it is very fast and creams a saxo vts and the car rolls on 19's to.but back to the head gasket.WHERE do we get one from?or possibly made?

Stuart
22-07-06, 05:50 PM
pm steveboyslim on mig and hope + pray he dosent laugh at you....

If mateys dad is such a legend he should be able to tell you why the gasket keeps going.. tbh id rather chew gaskets than have the engine go bigtime as the gakset is a deliberate weak link to save the engine... never mind i guess we cant tell you enough that its obv setup wrong etc

Dan
22-07-06, 05:59 PM
ontop of that stuart you owe me a fiver as i was right lol

On a serious not do what stuart said or try sbd/regal/courtenay etc

Before you do tho please get a full spec of this engine as mine and jims basic engines only use the gm version

Stuart
22-07-06, 06:00 PM
wouldnt try courtenay tbh... years ago i tried for an uprated gasket and was shown a GM stmaped item as "uprated" lmao

leemh1234
22-07-06, 06:14 PM
tryed regal,courtnay,sbd.no luck.it's so high comp engine thats why it does the head gasket.i'll find out the comp ratio

Dan
22-07-06, 06:24 PM
just get a detailed specification of the engine build and all the tolerances catered for, a good engine builder will have all this logged somewhere. :cool:

Stuart
22-07-06, 06:27 PM
id quite like to see a piccy or two of the failed gasket(s) (esp the firing rings) and a piccy of the underside of the head :D

leemh1234
23-07-06, 03:11 PM
i've contacted steveboyslim on mig and he maybe able to help.so cheers to who ever said to try him

Stuart
23-07-06, 04:01 PM
w00t i get thanks :D lmao......

hmm didnt Russ's engine run a std GM head gasket on his bazillion bhp John Reid engine.......

Dan
23-07-06, 04:50 PM
yup i spoke to russ last night funnily enough and just asked before commenting on here, this was a properly built john reed engine running circa 180bhp from a 1.4 16v engine for his rally car. That cost thousands, revved to 9k rpm and did a whole season with no problems at all with quite a few top end finish's (i should know having crewed on a few of em lol ). Not bad for a standard gm gasket, and beyond any specification your mate has tbh.(well to be fair beyond any of us lol).

BigRuss
23-07-06, 09:43 PM
yup i spoke to russ last night funnily enough and just asked before commenting on here, this was a properly built john reed engine running circa 180bhp from a 1.4 16v engine for his rally car. That cost thousands, revved to 9k rpm and did a whole season with no problems at all with quite a few top end finish's (i should know having crewed on a few of em lol ). Not bad for a standard gm gasket, and beyond any specification your mate has tbh.(well to be fair beyond any of us lol).

Orrr bless, you're making Me blush :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously mate listen to what these experienced people are telling you, You don't need a steel head gasket.

You should re-read Stu's replies, I agree with him on this. There is something somewhere causing this problem. Fitting a steel headgasket won't cure the problem just hide it for a little while.