PDA

View Full Version : Wing Mirror Glass Cutting for Stubbie Mirrors

Tim
21-07-06, 08:22 AM
hi all,

after sucessfully making a pair of shortened stubbie mirrors:thumb: , i now need to have the glass cut to size, only problem is its stuck to the plastic base and i can see it breaking as soon as i try and prise them apart, ive tried soaking them in water over night to soften the glue but this didnt work.

any ideas how i can remove the two peices with out breaking either the glass of the plastic mounting plate????:confused:

tim

loggyboy
21-07-06, 08:54 AM
try a tile cutter to cut the glass 1st, then trim the plastic to suit.

db_1.2
21-07-06, 08:57 AM
DONT try and angel grinder! Speaking from experience Lol, dont spose you could get some pics up in the styling section could you pwease timmy! As i wanna make a pair out of mine this weekend for my rebuild/re con:thumb:

craig green
21-07-06, 09:08 AM
Peel the backing away from the glass, as opposed to peeling the glass away from the backing. Maybe pour a kettle of boiling water over it.

As for cutting the glass, I took them to a local glass supplier/cutter. He said it might not cut without shattering but, they were OK for me.
Cost me a fiver.

Tim
21-07-06, 09:23 AM
DONT try and angel grinder! Speaking from experience Lol, dont spose you could get some pics up in the styling section could you pwease timmy! As i wanna make a pair out of mine this weekend for my rebuild/re con:thumb:

when i have a finished pair i will post pics:thumb: , im going to try and remove the glass now, may as well have a cup of t as well if im boiling the kettlelol

craig, did u manage to retain the curve on the edges of the mirror glass??
cheers .

tim

Tim
21-07-06, 09:46 AM
result, nice 1 craig, mirrors sucessfully removed. i also have a burt foot from where the water dripped on my foot, oh and a nice cup of t, haha

lj
21-07-06, 09:59 AM
take it to a local window manufactoring place dude, they'll cut it for ya .... i had mine done and it was spot on!

craig green
21-07-06, 10:16 AM
Craig, did u manage to retain the curve on the edges of the mirror glass??
cheers .

tim

Yes. Not as smooth as factory but you can kinda see it in this pic

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Sta40005.jpg

I'll get some better/fuller pics later after lunch.

Are yours still going to be remote adjustable?

Tim
21-07-06, 10:37 AM
Are yours still going to be remote adjustable?

yes they should be fully working exact replicas of the standard 1s only just about an inch shorter, i could probably have taken about another half an inch at a push, but this would have resulted in mirrors difficult to see out of, and thats just carzy talk lol

tim

craig green
21-07-06, 01:27 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/bits4sale/Novabits009.jpg

Cut glass shot