PDA

View Full Version : Are these Alloys safe? (New member/car!)

noknok
20-07-06, 01:28 PM
My first post on Novaload, but been a reader for a while, so hello one and all.

First the story.

I recently purchased my first Nova, a silver GTE 'H' reg with 34k on the clock. Previously owned by a work collgues 60 year old wife for popping to local shops. It's been serviced every year by the local Vauxhall dealer. Good eh.

It's completely standard, NOTHING has been violated which is how I intend to keep it (except wheels); I like the old school look. P.S - Father Christmas and nodding dog didn't come with the car!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/john_oconnor00/Image015aaa.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/john_oconnor00/Image014aa.jpg

There are a few problems areas which I hope to post up soon for some advice. I fully admit to being lacking the know how in this area.

Anyway reason for post - Got some Vaux 3 spoke alloys (?40) to replace the steelies (still wondering if I've done the right thing). As you can see from photos (sorry mobile phone snaps) one alloy centre has two indented areas with 1-2mm cracks in metal on the inside of dent.:eek:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/john_oconnor00/Image037a.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/john_oconnor00/Image036a.jpg

Question is, should I worry about this, seeing as the four stud holes are solid? To be honest whatever the outcome I'm still a bit annoyed having bought them of e-bay as 'good condition' and travelled 4 hours round trip to collect.

Your thoughts appreciated. Will post more better photos soon.

craig green
20-07-06, 01:32 PM
Should be able to coax the dents out. The centre bore only supports the wheel centrally, although the cracking is worth watching to keep an eye it dosent go accross a spoke.

Car looks lovely, good find but get the grille colour coded as it should be.

CG Welcome to NL btw.

scott.parker
20-07-06, 01:49 PM
Welcome to NL mate the car is very very nice and neat like it alot...

As for the wheels do as craig said just keep a watch on them to make sure they dont get any worse,they should be alright though.. :thumb:

Scott

Matt2107
20-07-06, 01:52 PM
Welcome mate.

Well done for switching from steelies... bet the car feels better already.

noknok
20-07-06, 02:24 PM
Cheers for welcome guys. I'll keep a eye on it, I was mainly worried it might suddenly shatter at speed leaving me in a hedge! I think I'll put in on the back.

As for the condition of the car it needs a good clean up and polish. There are some rust bubbles on passenger side door just under window and bit on quarter window struts, a few spots elsewhere too. Interior is very good condition.

I'll get some better photos up soon as I need some advice on a few things.
Cheers.

SRlew
20-07-06, 03:16 PM
welcome buddy!

it looks well nice! good to hear your keeping it original!!

lew

loggyboy
20-07-06, 03:18 PM
If its a digy wheel, swap it. its not worth the risk, especially as GTE 3 spokes can be picked up for next to nothing!

noknok
20-07-06, 03:21 PM
Car looks lovely, good find but get the grille colour coded as it should be.

CG Welcome to NL btw.

About the centre grill. What should it look like, I didn't think this car had been altered at all. Maybe I'm wrong??

noknok
20-07-06, 03:27 PM
If its a digy wheel, swap it. its not worth the risk, especially as GTE 3 spokes can be picked up for next to nothing!

Hmm, worried now. Food for thought. Wish I'd held out for a decent set. 3 sets finished on ebay this week ranging from ?20-50. You live and learn. Maybe if any of you lot have one/set in Somerset area I could ditch the damged one. I'm near Bristol.

Jack
20-07-06, 06:28 PM
About the centre grill. What should it look like, I didn't think this car had been altered at all. Maybe I'm wrong??
Centre grille was colour coded on GTE's afaik!

Welcome to NL as well, always good to have a few more local members :D

-Bruce-
20-07-06, 08:24 PM
The car looks realy kool mate. Looks in very good condition aswell.

As for the wheels i would try and get another one, just because there not expensive.

I would have also kept the steel wheels on and the hubcaps. It looked good. If you do stay with the alloys keep the steel wheels aswell.

Bruce