PDA

View Full Version : its stuck

nva_sr
20-07-06, 11:01 AM
i read all the tread even the posted one i did on re-moving the steering wheel and it want work. it just dont want to come off iv spend days now trying to get it off following all the advise n that. i just want it off to put me nex one on it just ant comen off. :mad::mad::mad:

LUV2XLR8
20-07-06, 11:13 AM
grab it at quarter to 3 and shack violently and it should come off, i had a hell of job doing mine.

nva_sr
20-07-06, 01:05 PM
mate it is so solid not being big headed but im not a small lad im quite srong n it want budg im scard of braken the stering colum or bending it

Mike
20-07-06, 01:24 PM
I had the same problem last week doing my reshell!! i got that pished off i ended up changing the column and wheel in one!!!

You need to get a vauxhall fitting steering wheel pulley, there about ?5 or something??

SRlew
20-07-06, 04:38 PM
i had this problem, so i just told the garage to get it off when they done my m.o.t

scott.parker
20-07-06, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem last week doing my reshell!! i got that pished off i ended up changing the column and wheel in one!!!

You need to get a vauxhall fitting steering wheel pulley, there about ?5 or something??

You need a stering wheel puller,you can buy them from most places like helfruads but there ?25 mikelol
And you will be lucky if the osding thing fits,me and my dad spent two days modifying mine lol..

Scott

Mike
20-07-06, 05:15 PM
Doh, missed the 2!! lol

draper
20-07-06, 05:25 PM
big hammer ;)

Philsutton
20-07-06, 05:28 PM
big hammer an hit the nut in the centre, undo the nut first of course but leave it on a few threads unless you want a broken nose. They can be a bitch to do but ive got it perfect now after so many.

ajsvalver
20-07-06, 06:34 PM
try not to hit it as it will damage the collapsable column try being a bit less forcefull as i find if you pull hard yet shake gently it tends to come off easier, i took mine off on tuesday using my tactic had no problems regards andy

Geth
20-07-06, 08:47 PM
My dad made a steering wheel puller years ago when I was still a nipper. I still use it today and it's great. All you need is some lead (easilly found in old car batteries), one fat long bolt, 2 thin long bolts, matching nuts for the bolts and a bench grinder.

I will follow this post up with some pics and instructions if somebody asks for them but be warned, the lead needs to be melted down in pot on a cooker, so if you live with girlfriend/wife/mother etc best do it when they are out lol

nva_sr
20-07-06, 11:48 PM
yar i need help it tighter that a nuns so and so lads. iv had all sort off me dads tool behind in front pulling hitting n it just sittes there. wd40 and all that want budge

Adam
20-07-06, 11:57 PM
You'll probably end up knackering the column.

I attempted to remove the steering wheel off my old car(for fun,lol)
I gave up after a few minutes with a large hammer etc. Lol

Dont think i'd attempt remove another without a proper puller.

draper
21-07-06, 06:57 AM
i took mine off by me and my mate *tapping* it with a hammer on each side at the same time, i also loosened it bytapping the middle nut to loosen slighty

Tim
21-07-06, 08:06 AM
shout, swear , and some general abuse will work, well itll make u feel better at least, as for the wheel, looks like ull need the proper tool

shy witness
23-07-06, 10:53 AM
i've done a few myself..........and did have problems

the way we doenit woz get 1 person 2 pull at the steering wheel (holding pressure) and then with a hammer and punch..........hit the shaft of the column(where the nut it is) a few good hard and direct hits........

it kinda stuns the thing appart......whilst the pressure is being held on.....it makes all the difference i can tell ya

its worked for me a good few times

Nath
23-07-06, 11:07 AM
gaz give me a call when your in or come to mine and ill get it off for you ;)

mowgli
23-07-06, 02:57 PM
SO far it sounds like loads of people really are trying to wreck their steering columns.

OK if the old undo the nut 3 turns & getting your mates to pull it while you hit the nut trick isn't working (It is usually the last resort method anyway) & the puller option is expensive. even though you can make one with 3 m10 bolts & a decent piece of iron. there is one option that most people have never heard of.

Wrap some rags round the steering column between the wheel & the switches, remove the horn push & loosen the nut & washer. boil a kettle & pour some boiling water on the wheel boss where it meets the column bolt.
The boss is ally & the bolt is steel. the boss expands quicker thus loosening it. I got a leather calibra wheel off using that method.