PDA

View Full Version : sloppy gear linkages

SRlew
20-07-06, 09:34 AM
right im fed up of the real slack feeling gear stick, so im thinking new gear linkages, if i buy a quick shift, can i buy all the other part from a motor factors or somthing, or will the quick **** it self get rid of the slack wobley feeling in the gear stick?

cheers, lew

Stuart
20-07-06, 11:22 AM
the slack is largely due to the ball joint cups AND the rubber bush in the middle. so technically if you fit one of these short shift ktis you will still have sloppy gears if you reuse your existing rbuuers etc.

id suggest a brass/bronze centre bush (measure up and away you go to a machine shop)

as for the other bits... maybe look into rose joints.

craig green
20-07-06, 11:35 AM
Yeah. A few of the nylon cups & balls from the std linkage is now discontinued by dealers.

novamadman
20-07-06, 12:05 PM
harry hockley can make you up a rose joint for the square part linkage, (i think where stu says to make a bropnze one or whatever) for ?40 but you have to supply the bits and h will send it back to you as i enquired into this but never done it. If you had that and replaced the rest of the bushes and got a quickshift it should all be good. Other than that if you replace all the bushes with the quickshift theres nothing wrong with that and it does make a hell of a difference from bsuhes that have been working in there for at least 13 years!!.

shane

SRlew
20-07-06, 03:10 PM
so can you buy new standard bushes. and whats this rose joint stuff? lol

rodgerq
21-07-06, 12:43 AM
rose jointed linkage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/rodgerq/car%20pics/gearlinkage.jpg

rodgerq

Geth
21-07-06, 01:04 AM
That looks like a nice solid setup! were did you get it made up?

Stuart
21-07-06, 08:00 AM
dathers on mig had it made... he claimed he was doing a load of them but nothing EVER came of it lol....

plus its still going to be a little sloppy as its using the std rubber mounting bush ;)

SRlew
22-07-06, 07:07 PM
right im going to get a quick shift and sort out the bushes and all other parts, one way or another.

but just got the car running and i think iv adjusted the linkage wrong. you know where the grippy part slides into somthing then you clamp them together, so i think its that part that needs adjusting as it wont go into first or second or reverse? what you think?

that rose jointed one looks well good.

novamadman
22-07-06, 07:22 PM
right im going to get a quick shift and sort out the bushes and all other parts, one way or another.

but just got the car running and i think iv adjusted the linkage wrong. you know where the grippy part slides into somthing then you clamp them together, so i think its that part that needs adjusting as it wont go into first or second or reverse? what you think?

that rose jointed one looks well good.

slacken off the nut/bolt at that part where the rod slides in. get someone to sit in the car for you and hold the gear stick where they think neutral should be, hold it steady there, sweeten up your linkage and see if they cn get all the gear nicely, if so tighen it on up if not just keep playing like that till you get it nice. usually get it first time or else its very close.

Shane

SRlew
22-07-06, 07:30 PM
ah nice one. i got well depressed and worried, i went to pic it up from the garage and i went to drive of and it was just chugging i was like omg, but then thought NO it just needs adjusting lol got well worried though

benji
22-07-06, 07:37 PM
you?ve got it running now then???

for the gear linkage you need to get a 3.5mm drill bit and shove it in the hole below the selector on the box. it should have a black plug in it(stu knows about this) move the selector around untill the bit locks into the hole, you then get a mate in the car to line the gear stick up with the notch on the left and side of the gear surround thingy, when its lined up nip up the nut and test it out. its pretty easy.

raced that xr2 yet?

SRlew
22-07-06, 07:40 PM
ah yer i remember you saying now matey!

lol not raced it yet i need a better battery, one for a bigger engine or somthing. will pm you bout it now though buddy!

benji
22-07-06, 07:45 PM
i had to get a bigger battery. i would also reccommend fitting some new earth straps, one from the alternator(not the mounting bracket) to the head, a new one from the battery to body, and a new one from block/box to body. also make sure all earthing points are clean and rust free. it will help no end.

SRlew
22-07-06, 07:53 PM
yer he said that, i had a problem with a plug (which i didnt know) so thats why it went to the garage. so i done it all by myself appart from that little fault with a plug that goes to the part near the distributor. was gutted i had to get somone to finish it!

yer am going to sort out new earths etc when i get the battery tommorow.

SRlew
29-08-06, 12:02 PM
right harry hockley sell 'rose jointed standard linkages' any one baught one of these? how much of it is there in that package? all of it needed? also would you be able to just put those parts onto a quick shift linkage?

cheers, lew

letmelive
29-08-06, 02:21 PM
i went in my nova first time since i brought and done it up and with the suspension dampers and the sloppy gear linkage i was like :S everythings light and was nervous of it going in the wrong gear, so ya can tighten this up then??