PDA

View Full Version : polishing rocker head cover

Anonymous
17-06-01, 09:11 AM
i want to know how to polish my rocker head cover. i want to give it one of those mirrior finishes. anyone know how to do it properly and what compounds etc neded? :-/

Anonymous
17-06-01, 11:38 AM
for a mirror finish you need to have it chromed i think, this be expensive

Anonymous
17-06-01, 12:35 PM
u can get it chromed for about 20 quid if u look around

Anonymous
17-06-01, 02:19 PM
anyone know places that do this kind of thing in lancashire, if its about 20 quid i may give it a go.

:p
Im tall and your small
:p

Anonymous
17-06-01, 05:20 PM
i'm in lancashire to and would like the same thing

Anonymous
17-06-01, 06:33 PM
i was quoted about ?60 for the rocker cover that is in nottingham, is there anyone who can do it cheaper and is in london, it shouldn't be too hrd as mine is a 2l gsi and the cover it totally flat.

Anonymous
17-06-01, 06:52 PM
do it yaself

wet and dry, then polishing thingy for dremil, lots of rubbing compud, a bit of mer... done.

then laquer it with high heat clear laquer, and ya sorted

Anonymous
17-06-01, 07:05 PM
or get a bit of perspex and drill holes in the right places and bolt that on. it will look cool for about 5mins till you fire it up and oil covers the clearness. lol

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
17-06-01, 07:58 PM
see my post in chat (saxo owners) i polished mine as best as it would go done the fuel pump aswell looks well, just follow what Rich P has said, just to add if you can get a polishing mop for ye drill it makes life a lot easier

Anonymous
17-06-01, 09:12 PM
this all sounds cool,perhaps if I polish my rocker cover,peeps wont notice all the oil splatted everywhere?-all I see when I open the bonnet,is a K&N,making me grin,as no mates have done anything like it yet,cos theyre in Mum mobiles

Anonymous
18-06-01, 11:50 PM
As Rich_P and Keith said.

I painted my rocker cover matt black, but polished the vanes and OHC lettering. Oh, and I polished the oil-filler cap too.

I've not lacquered them though (yet), so I have to keep re-polishing them every few weeks.....only a minutes job with AutoGlym Metal polish, just to remove the water-marks and/or oxidization.

I'm thinking of doing my wheels next!
I've got a knackered LXi alloy that I practise on.

Anonymous
21-06-01, 07:28 PM
For my 16v rocker cover, I got a bench grinder and a polishing mop attachment. I sanded the paint back and then polished it up.