PDA

View Full Version : Problem with weber carb

novamadman
18-07-06, 02:06 AM
Engines up and running. Only problem seems to be the carb. Wont idle at low revs. Splutters and farts about andthen picks up the revs for a few secs, then drops does the same again as if its about to die, then gathers a few revs again and just repeats the whole thing again.

When the car was idling like that the other night, stoppd her and pulled out a plug it was plug, running rich, anyway took her up the road a few runs nice and easy, revs okwhen you get the revs up a bit butis a right ******* as you have to heel and toe constantly to keep her going, pulled plugs out again, white, running lean. strange

the carb has been modified quite a bit

think it may be drawing air from somewhere but not sure yet

wondering if anyone has any advice or any experiences

its a weber 32/34

cheers shane

craig green
18-07-06, 12:55 PM
Read back through your previous thread regarding fitting the item & heed my advice in my posts.

I'm not gonna tell ya again..

Mike
18-07-06, 12:58 PM
If you think it may be drawing air in, then check the manifold to head seal, carb to inlet manifold seal :thumb:

novamadman
18-07-06, 01:25 PM
Read back through your previous thread regarding fitting the item & heed my advice in my posts.

I'm not gonna tell ya again..

craig my previous thread on the weber carb was to do with a pipe coming out of the back of it whichturned out to be the vacuum to distributor.

YOU SAID t the return back to before the carb somewhere, which would have been very difficult considering there is no return on the weber 32/34.

so honey, chill pill :thumb:

shane

Adam
18-07-06, 06:54 PM
He meant T the Return pipe(thats going to the tank)

novamadman
18-07-06, 07:18 PM
He meant T the Return pipe(thats going to the tank)

ahh apologies

but still whats that got to do with what im asking here

shane

Adam
18-07-06, 07:43 PM
What have u got the pressure regulator set to?

nathan.
18-07-06, 07:51 PM
Try taking the jets out and cleaning them. I had similar problems and because the carb hadn't been used for a while the fuel had crystalised.

tom_beverley
18-07-06, 07:56 PM
Have you pulled the idle and main jets out and checked they are not blocked?

If it is pulling air in then it may whistle, more so when you rev the engine!

Check the above, manifold to head gasket and carb to manifold area (including that plate under the carb is tight as mine loosened itself and cause irratic running), sparay WD40 around these areas and if it runs better then the leak is in that area.

If you sort it, and if you havent already got one, buy a fuel filter or a fuel pressure regulator like the Filter King. I don't think its necessary to have a reg on the 32/34 though! but will help a bit!

novamadman
18-07-06, 10:07 PM
Have you pulled the idle and main jets out and checked they are not blocked?

If it is pulling air in then it may whistle, more so when you rev the engine!

Check the above, manifold to head gasket and carb to manifold area (including that plate under the carb is tight as mine loosened itself and cause irratic running), sparay WD40 around these areas and if it runs better then the leak is in that area.

If you sort it, and if you havent already got one, buy a fuel filter or a fuel pressure regulator like the Filter King. I don't think its necessary to have a reg on the 32/34 though! but will help a bit!

it whistles like a right ****. But i thought that might have been down to how it was knife edged for good air flow when it was modded. The carb was stripped and cleaned so i cant imagine the jets being blocked but it is worth a try.

shane

rm7745
20-07-06, 09:59 AM
let car tick over, and spray some WD-40 lubricant over each part of the manifold/carb one at a time, and if the car idle speeds up then you are leaking air.
Sounds like you may have adjusted the accelerator pump aswell?
This may be a long shot, but your cam timing may have also jumped a tooth, and although they can run like it, it also shifts the ignition timing with it, which would make it run lumpy also!

novamadman
20-07-06, 11:58 AM
let car tick over, and spray some WD-40 lubricant over each part of the manifold/carb one at a time, and if the car idle speeds up then you are leaking air.
Sounds like you may have adjusted the accelerator pump aswell?
This may be a long shot, but your cam timing may have also jumped a tooth, and although they can run like it, it also shifts the ignition timing with it, which would make it run lumpy also!

cheers lad

cam timming e.t.c is all ok. when you hold a steady rev on the car say about 1500 - 2000 rpm shess fine and revs clean from there apart from the whistle of course, but the car has very eratic idling is the only way i can describe it, fall back to about 800 as if shes going to die picks up to around 1200 fro a few secs, then revs up on its own to around 2200, then falls backl to 800 again and repeats the whole thing. sometimes it sits around 1200 or so for a longer time, and other times shell die out.

stripped it and checked all jets e.t.c were in correct place and not blocked last night and everything was fine.

only thing we have found now is play in the spindle which is probably the problem. Does anyone know if this can be reneewed on this carb or is it a case of buyinga new carb????

Shane

rm7745
21-07-06, 07:29 PM
webers designed to last mate, as long as someone hasnt fooked it up, it will be capable. i would say that a similar problem is caused by as spark plug that momentarily cuts out! sounds identical to what i had! but if you decide to change carbs, and you want to stay downdraught, i would look for a VARIJET carb, bigger overall air intake than the weber, and also uses mechanical secondary choke, they from mk1 astra and opels! wink wink

novamadman
21-07-06, 09:28 PM
i know its capable. I found now that theres a lot of play in the spindle and was wondering if anyone knows if the spindle can be replaced on this carb/ ive bene told if its worn then the carbs no good as they cant be replaced. Shane